Newbie question

I am having a hard time figuring out if this will work. I want to make a hat from the Last Minute Knitted Gifts book. The yarn they used is:

Manos del Uruguay 100% wool
137 yard/100 grams
14sts & 18 rows = 4’’ in stockinette (#101/2 needle)

I want to use Knitpicks Panache:

40% Baby Alpaca, 20% Cashmere, 20% Silk, 20% Extrafine Merino
Amount: 68 yards/50 grams ball
Gauge: 3-3.5 sts=1" on #9-11 needles

Will it work, any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Candice

i think it should though you may have to play with your needle sizes a big to get the same gauge.

does it say how many hanks of Manos you need though? the reason I ask is that if you are doing it because Panache is cheaper, it looks to me like you would need 2 balls of Panache anyway so the cost difference wouldn’t be much. my LYS sells most manos for $15. if it is like 1 1/2 hanks of manos then the panache would be cheaper.

(does that make sense?)

The hat used 2 hanks (mens size hat), but I would actually need 3 hanks of the manos to make the hat three colors. Have you used the Manos? How soft is it? I like the fiber content of the Panache, it sounds really soft and warm.

Candice

hrmmm…yeah it would probably be cheaper to go with the panache then. i have manos at home but every time i plan on using it i get distracted by a whole different project. at least this last time i held off my adult ADD long enough to get it wound. I like the feel of it a lot but i haven’t compared it to the panache at all.

i know there is someone who knows the answer to that.