Newbie needs help

I’m confused. I’m attempting to teach myself to knit. I’m using the web and a book in a kit I found at Walmart by Simplicity. I’m trying to knit a dog sweater. It’s pattern 10 Cargo Pocket Dog Coat of the Simplicity “I Taught Myself Knitting” book (more like magazine). Says it’s “easy” but I’m beginning to think not so much. I had no problems knitting the collar on down to the leg opening section where I cast off a few stitches where the legs will go. The next pattern section says this:

Note: All leg sections are worked at the same time using separate balls of yarn for each section. Beg with a purl row, work 1 ins in stocking st from cast off sts, ending with RS facing for next row.

So I’ve created a couple of small yarn balls, but I don’t understand exactly where to go from here. Am I leaving the leg sections for now and purl then stocking stitch between the leg openings? Sorry but my book is lacking and I don’t know anyone that knits. Can anyone please help me decode this pattern? Thanks!

testing…

Hopefully this will help if I’m confusing anyone or left out info.

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=199&cps=21191

The separate balls of yarn are a good idea. You’re going to be working three sections of knitting at the same time. Use your workng yarn, which should be at the end of the row you just completed and purl to the leg opening (the cast off sts). Drop the working yarn. There’s a gap and then the middle section of knitting. At the middle section start purling with one of the new balls of yarn. When you’ve come to the next gap, drop the strand of yarn and at the last section of knitting, start purling with the next new ball of yarn. Purl to the end, take the needle from your right hand to your left and start knitting. You’ll be doing each section with its own ball of yarn until you’ve knit the required number of inches. Don’t worry about loose sts where the new balls of yarn attach. You can tighten up those sts later.