Newbie needs help!

Hi all! I am making a throw and am using a pattern through Lion Brand Yarns. I am not sure I understanding the directions in Row 1 of Pattern 1. here it is verbatim:
[B]Row 1 (RS) k1,*yo, k6 (slip 2 tog as if to knit, k1 p2sso), k6, yo, k1
rep from * accross.[/B]
why are some of the instructions in parenthesis? and how do you pass two slip stiches over?
i am going to a knitting group on thursday but would like to do some tonight!@
any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks! Karen

In this instruction the parenthesis is to explain the double decrease. You pass the 2 sts together over the one that’s knit; it’ll probably be easier to see how once you get to that point.

I’m with suzee. It’ll deffinitely get easier as you go on. It may seem awkward, but just trust what the pattern is telling you. :slight_smile:

So in the parenthesis i slip two stitches together as if to knit then i place the right needle back over and knit a new stitch? is this the p2sso? or do i pass two stitches over again?
i am taking this way too literally arent I?
thank you i dont feel so alone!!!

Slip the 2 sts to the right needle, knit the next stitch, then pass the 2 sts over the stitch you just knit. It’s all done on the right needle. Don’t overthink it, just do it.

It all sounds really complicated until you do it. Like I’ve been scared of the ssk for a while now, and yesterday I finally made myself try it, and it was all so very easy! Just do what the pattern says. Trust it. It’ll all come out ok. :slight_smile: