Newbie knitting in a round

Hi there,

I have just started a new pattern for some wrist warmers having only knitted one thing previously (a teddy with a jumper). The ‘kit’ has 5 double pointed knitting needles. My question is, can I just knit it with a ‘round’ knitting needle instead (ie the floppy thing with a needle attached to each end) to get the same result? I’m really struggling with how to knit with so many needles dangling all over the place! I can’t even cast them on without getting in a muddle. But will it be the same if I use the other type of needle?

Thanks.

Technically, yes, you could, but I’m thinking their diameter would be too small to comfortably work on a circular needle.

I’d encourage you to give the dpn’s a try. I’m far from the world’s greatest knitter, and I don’t have a problem with them (and if I can use them, anyone can, believe me!!!). Most patterns will just have you working with 4 needles - 3 that “stay” in the work and the 4th to knit with - and they’re not quite as unwieldy as you’d think. Good luck!!!

There are some great videos on here that show you how to work with dpns…watch them several times and see if it doesn’t become clearer to you.

You can do that, but unless you buy a 12" circ set (not common) you will need to learn magic loop. Magic loop is awesome and I use it for most things that are smaller like hats, socks, mitts.

I would also like to point out that not all circulars are created equal. For magic loop you need a soft flexible cable. I really like my Knitter’s Pride.

Thank you both. It also occurred to me after I posted this that a circular pair of needles would then require a seam? Whereas the dpn’s wouldn’t. Having said that, I’ve gone wrong somewhere as, even though I crossed over the last and the first stitch when casting on, I still seem to have a weird gap at that point. I’m ploughing through with the dpn’s but finding it really hard! I’m finding with all the projects I try, I seem to ‘get it’ just at the end after I’ve made all my mistakes! I guess this is just the peril of being a beginner. Thanks again.

Trudi.

I think that “gap” is just kind of the nature of the beast. I usually go back and weave the tail from the cast on through it to draw it together somewhat (I made a bunch of mittens last winter, and I always had a gap as well). It should still be plenty flexible to slip on and off the wrists, and will draw the two edges together nicely.

Ah, that’s a brilliant tip. Thank you. And makes me glad I didn’t scrap it and start again (for the 4th time) when I spotted the gap appearing!

If you decide to use the double points, this helped me a lot:

Cast on your stitches on regular straight (or for that matter circular) needles, leaving a bit of a tail. Work a couple of rows back and forth.
When you have half an inch or so, use one of the double points to work off a quarter of the stitches, pick up the next one and work another quarter, and so on until they’re all on the DPs. Start working in the round from there. Yes, there will be a tiny bit of a seam, but you often start with ribbing, so the short seam won’t be noticeable. The cast-on being tight or loose will be dealt with a few rows in, the pattern will be set up so it’s easier to follow without doing two attention-demanding things at once, and there’s very little likelihood that you’ll have any unwanted twists in your start.