Newbie help please

Hi everyone, help please! I’m knitting my first sweater (Sweaters in Sirdar Harrap tweed chunky 7848 - round neck) and have come to a bit I don’t understand. Your help in simple speak would be very appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post.

I’ve been working in stocking stitch, ending with a wrong side row (purl).

Shape raglan:
Cast off 4 sets at beg of next 2 rows - so row 1 cast of 4 sts knitwise, knit remainder of row, row 2 cast off 4 sts purlwise, purl remainder of row.
Work 6 rows dec 1 st at each end of every row - so decreasing by 2 sts on each row following stocking stitch pattern
Here’s the problem:
Work 30 rows dec 1 st at each end of next and every following alt row (21 sts). What does this mean? Is it row 1,3,5 etc - knit
Row 2,46 etc purl row with decreases or have I misunderstood, I thought decreases were carried out on knit rows?!

Thanks in advance :grimacing:

Welcome to KH!
You’ve done very well with the pattern. Decreasing at each end of every alternate row means every other row as you mentioned. So rows 1,3,5,7 etc until you get to 21 sts. You can do these on knit rows if you prefer.

Decreases can occur on knit rows or purl rows. As you can see from the earlier instruction to dec every row, some of the decreases occurred on purl rows even in the same pattern.

Thanks for your quick reply. Think I’ve got it now :slight_smile: