Newbie help and advice please!

Hi
I am new to this forum and hope very much that you can help me with my knitting venture!
I have fallen in love with the pattern below and long to make it!

http://www.prima.co.uk/index.php/v1/Patchwork_aran_jacket

I see that it uses Debbie Bliss cotton dk and was quite shocked at the price! - i need 20 balls…

Could i substitute this for another cotton dk that is cheaper? If so, would i need the same amount of balls of wool - or could i even use a plain dk wool?
Thanks so much in advance!

Are you a newbie to knitting or just a newbie to the site? Because you are MUCH braver than me if this is a first or one of your first projects. Anyway, you can easily find another less expensive yarn to use. Just look for another cotton yarn that is recommended for size 7 needles. You probably need to look for a yarn weight of 3 or 4 on the label. Of course, (everybody with me now) be sure and CHECK YOUR GAUGE!
Good Luck! :slight_smile:
Oh, and how many balls that you need depends on the oz./yardage printed on the label.

I am a newbie to this forum, having knitted before, but i can see that it is a massive project!
I am in uk and our needles come in different sizes to you, and the yarn gauges dont mean much to me but nevertheless I am heartened by your reply! Debbie Bliss yarn is so expensive!!

Thank you

Check out this site:

you can do yarn searches based on weight, fiber, texture…to see what is comparable to Debbie Bliss.

I don’t see why you can’t make this in any yarn you want, as long as you get the proper gauge. You see this type of sweater in all kinds of yarn.

Having just finished 3 sweaters in cotton, I’d do it in wool or at least a cotton blend. Cotton just doesn’t have the “bounce-back” that wool does, so it tends to stretch out of shape easily. Just my 2 cents worth. It is certainly a gorgeous pattern.

Check your gauge… yes very critical.

I was using the yarn suggested for the project, the needle size suggested, and cast on the stitches the pattern called for.

It was supposed to be 7 inches wide as I knit rows. So when I realized my work was 13 1/2 inches wide I was stunned. I am not a ‘loose’ knitter, and I am not sure what is creating this huge difference in what I should have compared to what I do have. So I cut back on how many stitches I cast on and started over.

Good luck with your knitting!

I’ve heard Debbie Bliss patterns tend to run huge. Maybe she’s an ultra tight knitter? :shrug:

Thanks very much for the advice! I agree that if made it in cotton the jacket is in danger of losing its shape. Your comments about the yarn are interesting!

I think i will go to a knitting shop and see what other options are available before i take the plunge!