Newbie and I don't know what I'm doing!

I just starting learning to knit yesterday. I’ve been crocheting for about a year now and decided a couple weeks ago that it was time to branch out. So I went down to my LYS and I told the really nice woman who owns the store that I was going to learn to knit and I needed supplies. So she asked what I wanted to make and I said a scarf. It was the first thing I did crocheting so I figured it’s got to be pretty easy. She got excited cause she has been working on a couple scarfs herself. So she got out some needles and yarn. She offered to teach me if no one in my family knew how to knit. I happily took her up on this. So she quickly taught me to cast on and then we started the fun. The way she taught difficult but I got the hang of it. Now here’s the caught…I’m in Mexico and the store owner doesn’t speak English and I speak VERY little Spanish. So I came here looking to see what I learned and I can’t find it. It’s some sort of rib stitch. To use the terms used in the videos on this site, she taught me to go down into the front of the stitch, yarn over and pull thru, then to go down in the back of the stitch, yarn over and pull thru. It’s pretty and is going to make a great scarf but from the videos I can see it’s not truely a knit or purl stitch. So for this long story my question is, what is it? TIA for any help!

Rowan

:knitting:

It sounds like a type of Brioche st known as Fisherman’s rib or Shaker st. K1 regular, then knit into the st below. If you look on the glossary page under k-b there’s a video that shows knit 1 below (k1b).

Thanks! I looked at the videos and it’s a knit1 but going thru the top of the stitch then a knit1 in the back of the stitch. Thanks a bunch!!!

Are there other rows to the pattern or just one row repeated over and over? If only 1 row, is it an odd or even number of stitches? Usually ribbing involves a combination of knits and purls. Knitting into the back of a stitch will make it twist but doesn’t make ribbing when alternated with regular knits.

Sue is right there is a rib you can get by never purling but doing knit in the row below.