Newbie: 3 rows 4 (6-6) times

Hello,

I am wanting to knit some slippers from an online patter; however, i do not understand what this instruction means:

3 rows 4 (6-6) times

I know that I am to do what it says inside the parantheses but I am lost as to if it means to stitch a 6x6?

3rd and 4th rows: Knit
5th row: Inc 1st in first st. Knit to end of row
Rep last 3 rows 4 (6-6) times more. 8 (10-10) sts

Thanks for any help you can give me :slight_smile:

Can you link to the pattern, it helps to figure it out.

Parentheses usually mean that you do that many for various sizes. In this case it appears that you’d do 4 for size small and both of the next sizes you’d do 6. However the next part is a little confusing. Having the pattern to look at should help.

[color=green]3rd and 4th rows: Knit
Rep last 3 rows 4 (6-6) times more. 8 (10-10) sts[/color]
the 4(6-6) is for the size, prolly the 4 is for a small, the 6-6 is for med and larg. and the 8 (10-10) is the same thing, if you’re knitting a small then I’d highlight the 4 and the 8 so you dont get confused later in the pattern, and do this with all the numbers throughout the pattern. If you’re doing the med. then do the above to the middle number and a large to the last. just helps you keep track.

Thank you for the replies.

Here is a link to the pattern: http://acmoore.com/projects/yarnproject.asp?ID=631

yes its for the sizes- if your making the small-first size follow the first #s all the way through the pattern

The last set of numbers - 8 (10-10) sts - looks like how many sts for the different sizes you end up with in this section.

sue

Thanks for all the replies.

Let me make sure I understand what I am to do for this slipper.

So if I was doing a small then it would read:
Rep last 3 rows 4 times more. 8 sts

If I was doing the medium it would read:
Rep last 3 rows 6 times more. 10 sts

If I was doing the large it would read
Rep last 3 rows 6 times more. 10 sts

Is this correct?

Right; since you only CO 2 sts, the incs you do will have you end up with however many sts total.

sue

Sue -

Thank you! One last question, later on in the instructions it again says to Cast on 9(11-11) sts (sides). Does this mean that I only add the sts to the 1 side of the yarn?

I’ve just looked at the pattern…and it seems they’ve got a few words in the wrong place…not very helpful for a newbie.

Hope someone else will check me out…but here’s my take:

That line (where you’re starting to make the sides) oughta read:

(I’m just using the first number for simplicity.)

Next row: Cast on 9 sts (1st side). Turn. Knit these sts. P1 (This is the way the sides are divided from the bottom & creates a “turn”.) Knit across the bottom (6 sts) to the last st. P1. Cast on 9 sts (2nd side). 26 sts. Turn

Next row: Knit

Next row: (RS). K9, P1, K6, P1, K9.

Does that make more sense?

Diane
Rep last 2 rows until work

I think you’re way ahead of her. She’s having trouble understanding the first part where you CO 2 sts, then inc until there’s 8,10, 10 sts. That’s when she starts the sides by casting on more sts.

sue

Diane and Sue,

THANK YOU! You’ve both been a great help. This makes A LOT more sense now that you’ve divided it this way. :notworthy:

Glad to hear you’ve got it figured out! :happydance:

Ignore my post from last night; it was late and I think I missed reading your post about what to do after the first section is done. Diane answered your question correctly about that part.

sue