Newbi with llama rug yarn questions

Hi all! So, I have a few questions. I’m a former llama and Pygora goat owner. I have a ton of llama yarn that I’ve had processed by a mill into rug yarn. I’ve made a few things out of it including a 4’x6’ rug. I’d like to venture out and possibly use this rug yarn for other things and was wondering if:
A) Has anyone knitted with rug yarn creating an infinity scarf?
B) Does anyone have any experience with how to clean something made with llama rug yarn? I’m thinking about knitting a 12"x12" square and washing it to experiment before making something like a scarf.
Any input will be greatly appreciated!

Welcome!
I suspect that rug yarn is a sturdier type than knitting yarn but I have no experience with it. This article seems recommend any heavy worsted weight knitting yarn however.

@mullerslanefarm What do you think?

Are you classifying it a rug yarn because of the texture (coarseness) of the yarn?

You can use it for anything you wish. The question would be if it will feel nice next to your skin. I suggest doing the ‘bra test’ … take a piece of yarn and tuck into your bra and take it along with you for the day. If it doesn’t bother you, then knit to your heart’s content!

I wash all my hand woven rugs by filling the tub with enough water & mild detergent to cover the rug, then I let it soak, giving it a couple gentle swishes a few times. Drain the tub and repeat until clean then rinse the same way.

Thank you for your method regarding washing a rug made from llama rug yarn! I bought some large knitting needles and knit a swatch roughly 16"x4" and have decided that’s not what I want to do with it. It’s very difficult to knit and very heavy!
So, I’m experimenting with the laundering of the swatch. I wish I knew how to post a picture of the rug yarn to give you a better idea of what it’s like.
I’ll continue to exercise my creative juices as to what to do with all this rug yarn?
Thanks again!

Any type of outer wear might work also. Have you considered a coat or jacket? Check out the patterns in Ravelry using the “pattern browser & advance search”, you can choose the weight of the yarn, the yardage and what you’re looking for. There are a lot of free patterns there!