New to knitting

Hii! I just started knitting a while and am just a beginner. I was wondering which patterns I should learn first. Like easiest to hardest. Thank you so much. Hope everyone is doing well :slightly_smiling_face:

Welcome to the forum and to knitting!
It’s a very personal choice with no strict guidelines. What do you want to knit? There are simple sweaters, scarves, cowls, mitts, hats and more.

Hi Ari,

I think most people usually knit a dish cloth or simple scarf as their first project. If you go to Ravelry.com, you can use the advanced search to narrow down. I also highly recommend this booklet by Michelle Hunter:

If you Google you can also probably find a used version. Once you do all the blocks, you’ve learned a ton of stitches/techniques and can sew them together into a throw.

1 Like

Hi Ari, welcome to the Knitting Help Forum. I also think you should start with something simple and work your way up to more complicated patterns. There are videos on this site that show you how to do casting on and binding/casting off and everything in between. The building blocks idea is also good as they’re a good way to learn how to different stitch patterns - so long as you don’t mind having lots of squares to sew together.

I don’t know why some people launch into complicated patterns when they first learn to knit - maybe they just enjoy a challenge.

Gillian