New to knitting!

Help! I’ve just started today and I’m keen to get moving but I’ve stumbled at the first hurdle!
Can someone please explain to me what it means when it says “work in 1x1 rib for 13cm ending with a rs row”.
It’s probably a silly question but I just don’t understand it!
Thanks for any help! :slight_smile:

Welcome to Knitting Help! First thing when asking questions is to post the name of your pattern and a link if possible. All patterns are different and it helps us help you.

You don’t understand a specific part of that line or all of it?

1x1 rib is k1 p1 one across the row. When you turn at the end of the row you “knit the knits and purl the purls.” Each stitch has two sides. The back of a knit is a purl and the back of a purl is a knit. Look at the stitches. Knits look like V and purls are a bump.

13 cm is 5.11 inches.

Ending with a RS (right side) row means that when you turn you’ll be working on the back (or WS which is wrong side)…so the RS is the lst row you’ll complete.

1 Like

Welcome to knitting! Everything will seem like gibberish right now. I promise you, it isn’t. Also, you don’t have to make any mistakes, because I’ve already made them all :grin:

Right now, before you do anything else, grab a safety pin, paper clip or whatever you can find. As soon as you finish your first row, put the safety pin on the side facing you. That will be the right side.

Learn to recognize your stitches. Ribbing wouldn’t be my choice of where to start, but you’ll be fine if you remember that you knit the knits and purl the purls as you look at them. A knit stitch looks like a V, a purl like a dash, and when you can recognize which is which you don’t have to worry as much about which to do where. Ribbing makes columns of knit and purl stitches (if you’re wearing a sweater or have one at hand, you can look at the cuff and likely see what I mean.) It is used at collars, cuffs and hems because it doesn’t roll and helps keep things like cuffs and hats in place.

Keep the questions coming and we’ll all answer. We’ve all been where you are. In a month or so, you’ll be helping someone else!

3 Likes