New to knitting and need loads of help

Hello,
I am new to knitting and I found your site by sheer chance! I am learning knitting with French instructions (I live in Paris). It is bad enough I am clueless when following english instructions, you can imagine French:aww:
I am also not too good with calculations/symmetry. So I really need all the help I can get:rofl:
An example for symmetry: number of stitches for symmetry: multiples of 6+5+1 stitch at each end.
What does that mean地nd how do I calculate?
So, if anyone out there can explain to me in simple terms (I have very limited logical thinking, by the way:teehee: ) it would be a tremendous advancement for me!
Thank you

Usually it is a multiple of one number plus an addition of another for a complete repetition of a pattern (e.g. cast on a multiple of 8 + 2, so in this case (8 x 3 = 24) 24 stitches plus 2 additional stitches giving you a total of 26 stitches to cast on. What is the context of the pattern you are working with?
Katrina

multiples of 6+5+1 stitch at each end.

The st pattern is a multiple of 6 + 5, so 11, 17, 23, etc, plus 1 st at each edge for a border, so 2 more.

Can you give more of the pattern? Its hard to say out of context.

I quoted this from a french knitting book titled 400 points of knitting where they give instructions for all the different stitches. This symmetry pattern is from (Im translating directly from the french language, so please excuse me if it makes little sense) Flat Ribbing 5/1.
Number of stitches for the symmetry: multiple of 6+5+ 1 stitch at both ends(I presume this is the selvedge?).
My problem is understanding not just these figures, but in almost every instruction they have this symmetry thing, and I cannot quite wrap it around my head as yet.
I thank everybody who is helping me on this.

The idea of symmetry is just to explain how many stitches you need for a particular pattern. For example, for Feather and Fan you need 18 stitches for one complete width of the pattern. But what if you want to do something wider than 18 stitches? Just make sure youre using a multiple of 18 stitches. So 36 stitches would give you two complete Feather & Fan patterns, 54 would give you three repeats, etc. So if you want to make a Feather and Fan baby blanket, you would figure out how wide you want it to be, (for example 40 inches) and what your gauge is with the particular yarn and needles you plan to use (say 8 stitches per inch)- that means you need 40x8=320 stitches to get your width. Now say you want a 4 stitch border on either end, thats 320-8=312 so you have 312 stitches to work with on the pattern. Since you need a multiple of 18, youd use 306 stitches (18x17) or 324 stitches (18x18) plus your 8 stitch border (4 on either side) so youd cast on a total of 314 or 328 stitches to do your pattern.

I hope I didnt give you more info than you needed, if I did, please feel free to ignore me. :slight_smile:

An example for symmetry: number of stitches for symmetry: multiples of 6+5+1 stitch at each end.
A little more detail on the math. This pattern is going to work with any multiple of 6 and then you need to add 5 to that number and then the two edge stitches (one at each end). The adding 5 seems weird, but some patterns need to add something to the repeat part for it all to come together right. So this would be 6X__+5+2. For instance 6X5=30 and then 5 more would be 35 and then the edges +2 more equals 37, so cast on. If you wanted 7 repeats it would be 6X7=42+5+2=49.

Actually, thats very impressive, Abbily:notworthy: :slight_smile: .

Tmta59:

1. What language are you most comfortable with?
  2. Is there some reason that you want to work out of this particular book?

Because if the answer to 1 is English, and the answer to 2 is No, then I would suggest using the thousands of free tutorials, patterns, videos, not to mention all the helpful people on this site, and go that route. I personally would find this 400 Points book to be a very hard way to go. But thats just me.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

The way I understand it, the symmetry issue is how you can ensure that the right and left sides will match up if you fold them in half.

In the example of a 5/1 rib, if its a pattern where you have to knit 5 then purl 1, if you ended on the purl stitch then the right side of your knitting would have a little row of purl stitches before the border began, but the left side would have the 5 knit stitches. So you just add one more set of the knit 5 and now theyll match up and look more even.

Im more comfortable with english, but as i live in France, the knitting stuff is in this language. I am learning from a wonderful french lady whos great in teaching the tehniques, but she has difficulty in explaining the symmetry/pattern counting PLUS shes closing shop soon.
I have knitted sweaters for my son and husband with her help, without really understanding the counting. I think I just need to know what the [B]numbers actually represent. Just another example for a cardigan:
on a number of stitches divided by 12+1.
1st row: k1, Cast 1 , k4, 1 double decrease, k4, Cast 1, repeat*-* ending with k1.
2nd row: follow the stitches as they represent
3rd. row: k2, cast1, k3,1 double decrease, k3, cast 1, k3 repeat - ending with 2 knits instead of 3.
All this is on a cast on of 121 stitches.
so what do the 12+1 represent?
Thank you to all the great people!

The st pattern repeat is 12 sts, plus you need 1 more as at the end of row 1. So 12 x 10 = 120 +1 = 121 to CO.

Tmta,

Have you found Ravelry yet? I did an advanced search for people who live in France and came up with 28 pages of matches. You might be able to find people there who can help you with the French aspect of figuring out the patterns.

www.ravelry.com

does this mean that the 10 is the number of times the pattern repeats on the finished item? and 12 is the number of stitches to make up this pattern?
I think you have just saved my brains from steamingup if this is so. Thank you so much

i am new to this site and still finding my way around plus I do not have much time on the computer what with son, husband and cats to take care of :slight_smile:
Thank you for the information, I will check it out.

Originally Posted by suzeeq View Post
The st pattern repeat is 12 sts, plus you need 1 more as at the end of row 1. So 12 x 10 = 120 +1 = 121 to CO.
does this mean that the 10 is the number of times the pattern repeats on the finished item? and 12 is the number of stitches to make up this pattern?
I think you have just saved my brains from steamingup if this is so.

Your understanding of it as stated here is my understanding of how it works. But I have to say Im not sure how that works in the pattern you quote:

1st row: k1, Cast 1 , k4, 1 double decrease, k4, Cast 1, repeat*-* ending with k1.
2nd row: follow the stitches as they represent
3rd. row: k2, cast1, k3,1 double decrease, k3, cast 1, k3 repeat - ending with 2 knits instead of 3.

What does cast 1 mean in English? Increase? Cast on? Im not sure. A regular decrease uses two stitches and makes them into one stitch, and a double decrease gets rid of 2 stitches and usually involves three to start with. Is that what you mean by a double decrease?

Usually the number of stitches used between the *s is the multiple, in this cast 12. In other words the part in row 1 that has

k1, Cast 1 , k4, 1 double decrease, k4, Cast 1
should use 12 of the 121 stitches. This would be true if this means K1, M1(doesnt use one of the stitches, but adds one between stitches), k4 (total 5), 1 double decrease (uses 3, total now 8, k4 (total 12), M1 (doesnt use a stitch). Where it says, ending with k1 would be the 1 extra. That row would have two stitches added (with the M1 2 times and 2 decreased (the double dec) to keep the count steady at 12.

Then in row 3 the

k2, cast1, k3, 1 double decrease, k3, cast 1, k3
should use 12 and Im not sure how it does. Figuring it the same way I did the one above that would be, *k2, M1, k3 (total 5), 1 double decrease (total 8), k3 (total 11), M1, k3 (total 14). Using 14 stitches in repeats would not fit into 121 with the number they say left over. 14 goes into 121, 8 times with 9 left over. So I dont get what is happening there.

I took `cast 1 to mean inc 1. On row 3, the last pattern repeat ends with k2 instead of k3, but the repeat does seem to be over 14 sts, not 12.