New to circular...question please

Hi all. I have yet to try out circular needles. I’m scared of them. All I’ve done are very easy hats and a scarf or 2. I’m ready to give them a try now. My question is this, is it possible to knit a hat on circular needles without double pointed needles ? I’m even more scared of them. What about sweaters? Every pattern I see with circular needles also requires double pointed ones when you have to decrease. I’m having a hard enough time with the concept of the circular needles. That is enough to get used to I’m sure. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks! :XX:

You can finish a hat or other small diameter project on a circular needle using a couple different methods. You could use 2 circulars or you could use one very long circular (Magic Loop method). Amy’s got videos on both - I think either in Basic Techniques or Advanced (look for small diameter circular knitting). I love magic loop, and have finished all my hats this way. I’m also doing a sock using magic loop. It takes a little getting used to, but it’s not too bad. Probably easier than dpns to a certain extent.

I used the two circ method to finish up rather than DPNs.

finishing on DPNs is a great way to start learning DPNs though. That way you don’t have to deal with starting then but you get practice in using them. i love knitting in the round on circs and look for reasons to do it! i have a ridiculous number of hats that i am donating right now because i just like making them but don’t always have someone to give them to. once you get going you will wonder what you were afraid of!

I’m rather new to knitting and I just finished a hat on circulars and I loved it! I can’t wait to do more, you just keep going round and round! My next project is going to be a sweater, just so I can use the circulars again! :smiley: