New pattern help needed

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me. I am not a new knitter but unfortunately I have not done many patterns. I am trying to start some knitted Christmas gifts and have come across a pattern I have not done before. It’s a lace-edged placemat and the pattern is called Ridged Lace Pattern:

Row 4 (right side) K1, *yarn over (yo), slip 1, k1, pass slipped stitch over, repeat from * to end of row.

Help! LOL! Can anyone some how give me step by step directions on how to do this? I know it’s asking for a lot but I would love to start this tonight and I just can’t figure it out.

Thanks so much in advance if any one can help.

Tracie

Row 4 (right side) K1, *yarn over (yo), slip 1, k1, pass slipped stitch over, repeat from * to end of row.

K1.
*Bring yrn fwd between ndls.
Slip 1st st on left ndl purlwise.
K1.
Lift slipped st over K st.
Repeat all steps after the *.

cam

(don’t you slip knitwise when it’s part of a decrease?)

Basically, lace is about adding holes (through yarn-over), which also adds an extra stitch to the next row, and then decreases, which makes one less stitch to balance out the additional.

So for this, you knit one stitch, then: bring the yarn in front of the needles (which will make an extra loop), slip one stitch from the left to the right needle (by putting the right needle in as if you were purling, but then transfering the stitch instead of purling a new one), knit one stitch normally, and then pass the slipped stitch over (by grabbing it with the left needle and pulling it off the right needle, so it ends up looped around the knit stitch instead of around the needle. This pattern (yo, sl1, k1, psso) uses two stitches from the left needle and leaves you with two stitches – one the loop from the yarn-over, one the knitted stitch – on the right. You repeat this pattern until you reach the end of the row. (On the next row, you will probably be knitting into the yarn-over loop like it’s a normal knitted stitch, which is what gives the lace the holes.)

Thank you both so very much for responding! I tried to work on it a bit last night but I was just too tired and it didn’t make much sense to me. I am planning on trying again tomorrow after a (hopefully!) good night sleep and a clear mind.

Thanks again! I very much appreciate it!

Tracie

(don’t you slip knitwise when it’s part of a decrease?)

Yes. Otherwise the st is twisted.