New need help

i am new to this site but i hope it all works well i am trying to knit my first hat and need a bit of help here is the pattern i am stcuk on

Set-Up Round: [Work 36 (40, 44, 48) stitches in established 1 x 1 rib pattern, place marker] three times, work in established pattern to end of round.

Round 1: *[K1, p1] four times, k1, k2tog, work in established pattern to 2 stitches before next marker, ssk, repeat from * to end of round. [8 stitches decreased]

Round 2: *[K1, p1] four times, k1, p2tog, work in established pattern to 2 stitches before next marker, p2tog tbl, repeat from * to end of round. [8 stitches decreased] - See more at:

I dont understand what it means to work in established pattern for round 1 & 2 can any one help please !!:woot:

i thought it meant to just follow the pattern but i do so for round one and im left with 3 stitches befor the marker not 2 im confused :frowning:

Welcome to KnittingHelp!
Your established pattern is the k1p1 rib. Whether you end with a p1 or a k1 won’t matter. Keep working the rib until you get to 2sts before the marker and then ssk. The important thing is to make sure that the rib lines up with previous rows.

Thanks so much !!
So if I end in k1 each row should it match up ?

You can check the rows already knit to see how sts should line up. You’re also decreasing so you’ll probably break the pattern at the decreases but if it’s a regular enough pattern of decreases, that’ll look fine.