New member and new at knitting!

Hi Everyone

I’ve been browsing this site for the past two weeks because I’ve been interested in learning how to knit. I’ve learn how to cast on, knit stitch and purl stitch. I’m still slow and very NEW! I’ve made a lot of mistakes. I have bought 4mm needles and 6.5 mm needles (Australian sizes) and some 8 ply yarn and just started knitting.

For the past week I have start knitting to pratice and it’s turned into a square (I don’t know what it’s going to turn into yet). There are some holes in my knitting and I don’t know why I’m getting them, can anyone help and also is there anything I should get or do for a first time knitter.

I’m going to post a picture of what I have been knitting (there are many mistakes) and if I could please get some feedback on where I have went wrong and how to avoid these mistakes in the future.

Many thanks!

My pic didn’t work :frowning:

There we go!

Actually, that’s pretty good for a first attempt.

I can see where you purled in a knit row, and probably didn’t put the yarn in the right place and got a hole. When switching from knit to purl, it’s important to have the yarn in back to knit and front to purl, but I’m sure you know that.

The hole that’s further up toward the needle is hard to tell.
Sometimes if the stitch doesn’t slide all the way off the needle on one row, we mistake it for a stitch on the next. That will give you an extra stitch and a hole.

Other than that, I’d say you are well on your way.:thumbsup:

I say you are well on your way too:yay:

Looks pretty good to me! Don’t worry too much about holes and stuff in your first swatch, they’re all part of learning. Sometimes I made holes when I was learning, but it didn’t last long. I made a dishcloth as my first project and I still have it!

I also tought myself to knit by watching the videos from this site. The trouble your having is common with begainners It took me watching the videos over and over and pausing them. It feel very awkward holding the needles when you first start but before you know it you will be knitting away. I have been knitting for a while now, I am still slow at things…like purling. It takes time but you’ll get it. [COLOR=red][B]Welcome to the site, and the world of knitting.[/B][/COLOR]