New knitter question!

I just finished a scarf that I alternated purling and knitting on. I just started knitting so I don’t know what the pattern is called, if there even is one. Anway, the scarf itself is rolling together. It kind of looks like a burrito, with both sides rolling into each other. What can I do to stop this? The scarf is supposed to be a gift!! Thanks!

Check out this thread.

Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us. BTW, it’s called stockline, or stokanette (sp?). For some reason it feels the need to make us suffer.

Stockinette will curl. There is no way around it. I would suggest taking it out and reknitting it into moss, garter, ribbing, etc That will not curl.

Or you could pick up stitches along the edges and knit garter stitch for a few rows.

sue

I’m a newbie myself, but I usually do a garter stitch border to make it stop curling. Two or three stitches on either side of the scarf and two or three rows at the top and bottom will do, I guess, although it still sometimes curls.

You could get some some nice thick polar fleece from the craft store and sew it on the back of the scarf. That would probably stop the rolling.

If you like the look of stockinette for scarves, you can do a 1x1 rib, which looks like stockinette. (even # of stitches, k1, p1 all rows) Or you can knit a scarf in the round and make a really long tube and block it flat.