New knitter needs help with colar

Hi there,

I an nearing the end of my 2nd knitting project and I am stuck. I am knitting a babies sweater and I am at the colar. these are the instructions. Maybe the answer is right in front of me I am just not seeing it.

Let me know what you think PLEASE,

I have 79 sts on my needle for the callar, here is the info that follows,

Next 2 rows Rib to last 20 sts, turn
Next 2 rows Rib to last 16 sts, turn.
Next 2 rows Rib to last 12 sts, turn.

Cont in this way, working 4 more sts at end of every row, work 2 rows.

Next row rib to end …

My question is what do I do with the 20 sts that remain on my needle. If I am understanding the pattern is is saying to rib to the last 20 sts and then turn but what do I do with those 20 sts?

Thank you for your help.

Aunt Bevy

You’re working short rows for the shaping of the collar.

On the first 2 rows, knit to the last 20, and turn and work back the way you came. Just leave those 20 stitches on your needle and ignore them for now.

Next 2 rows, you’ll knit to the last 16 stitches, which means you’ll knit 4 of those 20 stitches from the lasst row. Then turn and go back.

Next, you’ll knit to the last 12, again knitting 4 more stitches than the row before.

Knit 2 more rows like this, first knitting to the last 8, then to the last 4. Then knit one more row using all stitches.

What you are doing is short-row shaping, it gives, well, shaping to the collar. Just do exactly what the directions say. At some point you will get all those stitches back onto one needle to bind them off. You’re basically continuing on the center stitches.

Another, less desireable way this is done is to bind of those 20 st on each side, and keep binding off along the edges, but you get “steps” This will give you a nice transition.

I think it’s kind of cool when two of us respond at the same time and come up with basically the same thing. It’s kind of reassuring. :smiley:

I really wouldn’t reccommend binding off those stitches. The result will be completely different shaping that what’s asked for, and it would look really odd. :wink:

I really wouldn’t reccommend binding off those stitches. The result will be completely different shaping that what’s asked for, and it would look really odd. ;)[/quote]

When I said “this will give you a nice transition,” I meant the short-row shaping. I mentioned the binding-off more as a way to understand what was happening. I found that I never bind off shoulders, even if the pattern tells me to. Go for the short-row and three-needle bind-off every time.