New Knitter: Knit vs Purl

Hey everyone!

I just got my first needles and a “how to” book on knitting for Christmas. I’ve taught myself how to knit and purl and cast on and bind off, and now I’m mostly practicing to develop good tension and to learn more about the stitches.

The problem I’m having is that my knit stitches look like purl stitches. I’ve looked in my book and at pictures online, and all the knit stitches have the “V” shape, and mine don’t. I’ve looked at multiple videos and things and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.

Did any of you have this problem when starting out? Do you have any suggestions of what I might be doing wrong?

BTW, I’m using the English method.

Thanks!
~ Carrie

if you are doing nothing but knit stitches or nothing but purl stitches they are all going to look the same. This is actually called garter stitch and essentially it all looks like purl bumps.

In order to create the nice Vs you have to do one row of knit, one row of purl, one row of knit, etc. This is stockinette stitch. Once you do that, you will have the knit Vs on one side, and the purl bumps on the other.

You might want to read the Stockinette “Curl” thread at the top of this page before doing a scarf (or anything else) of all stockinette! :thumbsup:

You know, now that you say that, I think I knew that… Silly me!!! Thank you so much for your help!