New knitter -- help needed

I am at my wits end! I’ve been trying to teach myself how to knit for several weeks now and have concentrating on only practicing the stiches. In fact, I am so stumped that I’ve only learned how to cast and the knit stitch.

My problem is when I go to do the last knit stitch on that cast row. I’m using the continental style and the first stitch cast on is a double stitch.

First question – is that considered one or 2 stitches?

Second – either way I try I can’t get get that last stitch to end up looking like the others. I even tried stitching the way the demo shows.

I am so frustrated, but still not ready to give up. Can you help me?

When you cast on, that double loop at the beginning of the cast on is counted as two stitches. It really is ok if it doesn’t look like the others. Really! Nobody’s does and it’s never a problem.

Just knit on!! :x:

I was having the same exact problem!

I just started this weekend too - and couldn’t figure out why I would get to the last stitch and have and extra loop that went nowhere. Now i know! I can’t wait to get out of work today and get back to knitting :slight_smile:

i’ve just started knitting and managed to knit a couple of scarves. i really want to have a go at something else and work off a pattern, but not sure what to have a go at. kinda scared of going wrong and making mess

Michaela

What’s the worst that could happen? You have to unravel some yarn? Look at some of the free patterns here since they’re rated according to ability. Check out the abbreviations page to help interpret the shorthand of patterns and come back to ask for help if you get stuck.

What would you like to make?

Lots of people make dishclothes in the beginning to practice all the different stitches; they can be made of inexpensive cotton; they’re dishclothes so they don’t have to fit anyone and if you make a mistake, eh!

If you’re interested, there are lots of free patterns at www.knittingpatterncentral.com . There are lots of free patterns there for anything else your heart desires, too.

thanks for your help, i’d like to make a jumper. will look on the site you gave and will have a bash.

thanks again

Michaela