New knitter, cant start second row :(

Hi everyone! so Im able to cast on and then do my first row, but when i transfer over my last loop to finish the first row and start the second, theres a huge loop from what was excess yarn between the needles. I’ve restarted atleast 10 times and watched a bunch of videos and I just can’t get it :confused:

Welcome!
What kind of cast on are you doing? Sometimes there’s a problem with the thumb loop cast on leaving a long strand of yarn between sts. Switching to another cast on, say, long tail may solve the problem.

Salmonmac is right that another cast-on might help. However, this problem with the backwards loop cast-on can be fixed.

Most likely the extra yarn is caused by pulling your needles apart after working a stitch. It’s almost instinctive because it tightens the stitch, but it lengthens the yarn between the needles. By the time you get to the end of your row, you have all this extra yarn! I used this cast-on for many years before I even knew there were others. And it’s still the one I go to first unless specified in the pattern.

All you need to do is to make a conscious effort to keep from pulling your needles apart after a stitch. Sounds easy, doesn’t it? But it takes practice, so be patient with yourself and it’ll come.