New knitter and mohair

Ok…I think I got the knit, purl, cast on/off stuff down ok. However, I think I’m kind of a tight knitter–binding off and k2tog are a bear, because the stitches are so tight I have to really work to get the kneedles in them sometimes, or use my fingers to help. This pattern I’m trying now is a scarf from Scarfstyle/Pam Allen. It calls for Jo Sharp infustion kid mohair–spendy! Size 8 needles, pattern is: (hope it’s legal to print this?) Row 1 (RS) Knit—(Right side of what???)
Row 2 Purl
Row 3 k1, *(k2tog) 3x, (yo,k1) 6x, (k2tog) 3x, rep from * to last st, k1
Row 4 knit
Oh–I forgot–CO is 38 st

So…my 1st problem was when repeating, I was omitting row 1 on repeat and just going to row 2 from 4–duh! I should have 2 rows of knit, right?
Row 3–If I follow between the *, I should have 2 k2togs together before the yo? There should be 38 stitches at all times? Right now I have 53! I must be knitting my k2togs as 2 instead of 1? How do you see this stuff? It’s so fuzzy and SMALL. How do I rip it out and start over with out ruining it? How do I fix it when I make another mistake–because I will :frowning:

Let’s see–When a pattern refers to the Right Side–its the right side of your scarf in this case–the front, or the side you want people to see.

Yes, always repeat all four rows.

For row three you should have three k2togs before the yo. That’s why you’re getting extra stitches. You’re increasing more than you’re decreasing.

so for Row 2 you should k1, k2tog, k2tog, k2tog, (yo, k1) six times, k2tog, k2tog, k2tog k1 (You’ll end up doing 6 k2togs in the middle of the row)

I find it very difficult to try to correct mistakes when you’re increasing and decreasing. Mohair is notorious for being difficult, too.

Hi,

I love the Internet. I was looking for help working with mohair and I found your post. Here’s the amazing thing: I just started the same pattern using the same yarn, and I’m having the same problems! :doh:

I finally stopped struggling with the mohair and just practiced the pattern using some easier yarn. That was a good idea; I now know that the problem isn’t me, but that mohair is just hard to work with.

I’m thinking of casting on using a bigger needle so that at least the first row is not so tight. And I’m having trouble remembering where I am on that one complicated row, so I need some real peace and quiet while I work that row.

Did you ever finish the scarf? Any tips to share? Does it look as good as it does in the book?

Trudie