New KH Feature: Photowall

Niiiiiiiice!!! (Insert Mr. Creepy Clapper here!) :wink: Thanks Sheldon!

Thank YOU Sheldon - for all that you do! What a great feature…off to tag… :muah:

FYI: I added a new profile field for us to add our flickr usernames. If you go to User Settings and the Edit Profile if you scroll down the page you should see it. It’s not being used for anything currently, but as I mentioned in my previous post it would be nice to be able to attribute the photos on the photowall to the KH member they belong to. There’s a lot of great things being posted and I’m constantly thinking “WOW! Who made that?”

And this field is optional. Your photos will still end up on the wall, they just won’t have your KH username attributed to them.

Thanks,

-Sheldon

it would be nice to be able to attribute the photos on the photowall to the KH member they belong to.

Wondered about that seeing as it was likely those viewing might have questions about the project. Thanks for Profile addition.

cam

WOW!! Sounds really cool. Can’t wait to check it out.

Sheldon,

When viewing the Photowall pages ‘transferring data from farm3 (or farm4).static.flickr’ starts running and haven’t found way to stop it (neither Stop menu button or Esc work). It locks up my sys and I have to close out browser, and in one instance, log out. Ideas?

Thanks,
cam

The images are pulled in off of flickr, so those farm3/4.flickr.com are normal while the images are being loaded or when you hover over an thumbnail.

Right now it pulls in 100 images at a time which may be more than slower connections can handle. I am working on some refinements and may make it so you can view less images per page.

The images are pulled in off of flickr, so those farm3/4.flickr.com are normal while the images are being loaded or when you hover over an thumbnail.

For me, this kicked in after all 100 images were done loading and kept chugging away. I do have DU so that may be the issue.

Right now it pulls in 100 images at a time which may be more than slower connections can handle. I am working on some refinements and may make it so you can view less images per page.

Sounds good! Thanks for all your hard work.

cam

It will continue load things even after the 100 thumbnails are loaded. When you hover over an thumbnail it will start to pre-load the image in the background in anticipation of you clicking on it. It does this to help reduce the load time when viewing the larger images.

UPDATE: Just added two new photowall tags: knittinghelp-kids and knittinghelp-pets. :happydance:

It will continue load things even after the 100 thumbnails are loaded. When you hover over an thumbnail it will start to pre-load the image in the background in anticipation of you clicking on it. It does this to help reduce the load time when viewing the larger images.

How intuitive! I’ll make a concerted effort NOT to ‘hover.’

Thanks again.

cam

I just added a direct link to the [B]KH photowall[/B]. It should appear when you hover over the Community tab. Also, the photos now display the flickr username of the user whose photo you’re viewing. I am still working at getting it to display the KH username. Remember to add your flickr username to your KH forum profile (under User Settings, click Edit Profile and scroll down).

Also, in case you missed it, I added two new tags: knittinghelp-kids and knittinghelp-pets.

Thanks,

• Sheldon

AWESOME!!! I just signed up for flikr just now solely for knitting stuff. I will put my pet and kid on there for this, though.

Cool idea! I added one just to see what it would do. :wink:

I haven’t been taking pictures of my work; I guess I need to start up again.

It looks like it is displaying my user id, although it could just be that my Flickr and KH user names are the same. :slight_smile:

:thumbsup: Great photos! They are all so awesome…can’t wait to post one of my finished projects.

I am just unsticking this thread to free up room. Here’s one last bump in case anyone missed it. :mrgreen: