Thanks, everyone, for your kind comments. After doing this pattern, I have decided to knit it again (I do that with a lot of patterns, I always get a better job the 2nd time around).
THese are the changes I am making:
for the top half, I am using size 5 needles, instead of size 6 like it says. THe dress seemed to turn out W-I-D-E.
When I picked up stitches around the armholes, this time I picked up just 41 instead of 46, and the sleeves are a lot more reasonable, not so puffy.
I added 1 additional buttonnhole in the neckband in the 2nd last row ((there was a bad gap there in the first dress).
In the skirt, for the chevron lace pattern, I decided to add 1 row of plain knitting between each lace row all the way through the skirt, instead of just during the last few repeats of the pattern. It goes much faster because you have 1/2 of the rows where you knit fast and don’t have to count and concentrate. It also shows the pattern more clearly, in my opinion.
Hope this is of interest to anyone thinking of making this dress. The best change was toning down the sleeve puffs. I thought they resembled the dress on Napoleon Dynamite’s girlfriend in my first attempt. :teehee: