New and confused

i[COLOR=“MediumTurquoise”][B][FONT=“Comic Sans MS”] am rather new to knitting and i am stuck, it says work even in st st, what does work even mean??[/FONT][/B][/COLOR]

I am assumming that means to do stockinette stitch with an even number of stitches.

Yep Mason’s right. It just means knit in stockinette stitch for how ever many inches/cm/rows the pattern calls for. If knitting in the round it means all knit stitches (Or all purl stitches) if you are knitting something flat and going back and forth it means all knits on one side and all purls on the reverse.

i appreciate the reply and not to make you repeat yourself, it is a holiday hat and i am not working in rounds, i have been doing all knit on one side then all purl on the other so technically the book could have just said knit accross instead of work even ??

If you’re doing knit on one side and purl on the other, that’s a stockinette stitch pattern.

Most pattern writers assume a level of knowledge when writing their patterns (like knowing what stockinette means), but they often will provide an abbreviation key of some sort.

Some patterns are better written than others.

:hug: [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=teal]Hiya brighteyes and welcome to the party!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][COLOR=#008080]Work even in stockinette means that you knit the right side and purl the wrong side with no increases or shaping or pattern stitches (if you’re working on a flat piece of knitting) If you are working in the round it means knit all the stitches without increases or shaping or pattern stitches for the required amount of inches or rounds or rows.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Work even means to work in the pattern stitch with no increases or decreases, keep the number of sts `even’ or the same.

Exactly, suzeeq.

“Work even” means to continue in the same pattern you’ve been using.

“st st” means Stockinette Stitch.