Needing help with mitten pattern!

So I am working on this pattern for mittens - the two-needle flat version, not working in the round. It is apparently a fairly old pattern so a lot of modern ways of writing patterns aren’t in this one.

http://www.freevintageknitting.com/mittens/615-mittens-pattern.html

I have but one question at the moment:
On the pattern count for the Women’s Medium , they do NOT give any instructions for how many rows to knit in stockinette when you first start working the hand part. How do I interpret that?

The smaller versions of the pattern say 4 rows, but then Women’s Medium and Large have “-” in their count spaces. Hellllllllp!

For the men’s and women’s medium, proceed to the next direction and start the increases right away. We mostly use a 0 for sizes where the direction is skipped but sometimes you’ll see a -.
That makes sense with other directions in the pattern for increases for example. The hyphen means “no increase”.
This looks like a nice mitten pattern. I hope we get to see your finished pair?

Wait, then I don’t understand.
So I rib 2k, 2p for 3 inches, then in the last ribbing row decrease by two
stitches. Okay…
Then, the hand.

"Hand: Beginning with k row work stockinette as for - " is what that line
says for women’s medium

So I work no rows of stockinette at all, and go straight from the ribbing
to the increase for the thumb? That doesn’t seem right…there should be
some knitting between the ribbing and the thumb.

Often there is and you can certainly add in rows if you’d like. If you notice however, for the larger sizes the increases are spaced out every 3 or 4 rows rather than every other row as for the smaller sizes. Also, if you look at the photos at the bottom and follow the line of ribbing, it looks to me that you can see the increases on row 1 of the hand.
But basically, it’s your mitten and you should modify these directions as you see fit.

Okay, now I’m lost again.
What does ‘work even’ mean in this case?

I thought work even was ‘continue as you have, no changes’ - so in this case (since there aren’t four rows of stockinette) it’d be all knit stitches…I think?

But it implies later on in the increases that you end on a purl row!

There is something I’m missing here, and I’m not understanding this.

Yes, work even is usually without any increases or decreases.
Which row are you on, the work even after the first inc row or after the second?
After the first inc row on a knit row, you work 3 rows even so that’s a purl, knit, purl. and then you’re back to a knit row for the next inc row.

Okay, I see. I thought work even meant ‘exactly as you have’ so just knit three rows, not purl knit purl :slight_smile:

This pattern is really written with a lot of assumptions in mind about how much a knitter knows…

It is interesting to work vintage patterns. The older patterns, 100 or even 150 years old are even more obscure. The terms are different, more assumptions are made about general knowledge and there’s even less standardization than today. They can really be a puzzle.

okay!

Made it through the increase section, and I’m up to the division.

Using three cable needles, I’ve divided up the sections with the appropriate stitch numbers for palm, thumb, and back of hand.
Annnnnd I hit another block.

Wait, no. I knit across the stitches for back of hand, and the thumb…and just PUT the remaining stitches on the needle, don’t knit across them.

I was about to wonder how in heck they expected me to get back to the thumb. D’oh. I’ll just tink back across the palm stitches and go back to the end of the thumb section.

But then it tells me to cast on across the thumb? Er? To the videos to figure out how to cast on around live stitches!

Ahh, figured that out. :slight_smile: onward across the thumb!

Great progress! See if this video helps. The backward loop is ok here because it’s so few sts.

Ugliest mitten in the world.
But I did it!

q

1 Like

Beautiful mitten! Just getting through a vintage pattern is an achievement. Nice even stitches and lovely work. Now cast on for the second mitten and knit away.