Need some advice

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do at corners to ease extra fullness

What is the name of your pattern and designer?
You want to join more ridges of the border at the corner than you are joining on the straight portions. So if you join one garter ridge per 2 rows or columns on the sides then join 3 ridges at the corner to the one or two corner stitches.
You can plan this out by stitching on the border on the straight edge. Then when you get to the corner join the border at the corner and see how many rows of garter it will take to round the corner and keep the border flat without cupping. Usually 2-3 ridges will do it depending on your gauge. You’ll be attaching to border into the same one or two blanket sts, sort of like a row of soldiers turning a corner where the inner soldiers march in place while the outer ones are quick-timing around the turn.

2 Likes

I thought that’s how it’s done but thought there might be some kind of rule. Like 2 rows in stitch before corner 3 in corner. I wasn’t able to find anything on you tube. Now to tackle reverse purling for garter stitch border. Watched few videos but so awkward. My pattern is King Cole double knit 2767.

https://www.woolwarehouse.co.uk/patterns-and-books/king-cole-2767-jackets-hat-and-blanket-in-dk-leaflet

Very nice blanket. It does have a wide border that may take more than 3 garter ridges in a single corner stitch to turn neatly. You’ll have to give it a try and see what works best.

I’d work this as an applied border with short row corner shaping. If you’re familiar with grafting, starting with a provisional cast on and then grafting the ends would make it seamless.

1 Like

I’m not quite sure I understand what you described. Are you talking about doing short rows or just knitting into same stitch 2 or 3 times?

That’s a nice technique but alot of turns on a large blanket would be tedious.

When I do an applied border I don’t turn the entire piece, just what has to turn to work the next row.

Just knitting into the same stitch or two adjacent sts 2-3 times. You’ll be able to see as you work this that you’ve turned the corner with a flattened border or not. If not, it’s easy enough to take out the seaming sts and correct.

Thanks salmonmac and GrumpyGramma I did a swatch to practice technique from video fabric will attach where blue dot is. This blanket teaching me alot provisional cast on, join as you knit, corners on border and reverse knitting. Will try to post pictures when finished.

2 Likes

Seemingly simple things can turn out to have all kinds of learning opportunities. This is going to be a lovely blanket. I’m looking forward to knowing how you decide to work the border.

I started border it’s 11 stitches first corner turned out ok. Might tear it down very beginning where its attached

is a little messy

2 Likes

That looks quite good. Nice and flat as you turn the corner.

Thanks