Need pattern HELP

i’m making arm warmers from the vogue knitting 2005 fall issue.

i’m ok up until row 20 of the shaping, then i get these instructions:

Rep rows 1-20, changing all k4’s to k5, k 5’s to k6, k9’s to k11, k10’s to k12, and k11’s to k13.

this is the original row 1 of shaping:

K3, [k9, double dec] 4 times, k9, k2tog, k1.

following the instructions above it should become:

K3 [k11, double dec] 4 times, k11, k2tog, k1.

my question is, how does this work into the pattern if the amount of stitches that are knit is increased? or is the pattern supposed to shift from here on?

thanks in advance for your help.

Do you have 73 stitches on your needle at the end of Row 20?

Because Row 21 (a.k.a. the revised version of Row 1)

“K3 [k11, double dec] 4 times, k11, k2tog, k1”

looks like you are supposed to be starting with 73 stitches, and then continuing to substitute the numbers as you follow the rest of Rows 1-20, which are now Rows 21-40.

As long as you substitute the appropriate new numbers (Rep rows 1-20, changing all k4’s to k5, k 5’s to k6, k9’s to k11, k10’s to k12, and k11’s to k13) as you work through the rows, you should be fine.

That is, unless the pattern has errors in it, and then you will need to look at the Vogue Knitting corrections page (at vogueknitting.com).

Are you making your armwarmers in wild neon colors, like they appeared in the magazine?

thanks for your help.

i dont remember how many sts i had on the needle at row 20, but i know it wasnt the right amount needed for row 21. what i did was start from the second stitch in the row for the odd numbers, and ended one stitch before the last on the even numbers (i just counted how many stitches i needed to knit before getting to the first increase or decrease, and it seemed to work out to this formula). this seemed the make up for the differences in the stitch numbers, and i dont see a change in the look of the sleeves. i’ll pay more attention on the second sleeve to make sure it wasnt my mistake.

and no, i’m not making them in those horrid neon colors :wink: . i’m actually making them for a friend in nice, earthy colors. (i dislike completely neon garments with a passion)