Need info on basic increase and decrease

Hi,
I just learned how to knit today! In the basics videos there is a section for increasing and decreasing. It shows a diamond pattern that you can do both on, but it only shows how to do a few stitches. Is there an actual pattern for that diamond strip that I could follow? Thanks for the help!

Sharman

There could be, but that’s just a sampler. I imagine you could count stitches and rows and come up with it. Or just do a practice piece yourself, you don’t need to have a pattern.

I tried to write out the first diamond of the pattern. You’ll follow this same pattern for each subsequent diamond - just use the next increase indicated on the increases page and the next decrease indicated on the decreases page
so, starting from the bottom of each page, and working your way up:

CO 4 stitches
increasing with yo
row 1: k all stitches
row 2: p all sts
row 3: k2, yo, k2
row 4: p
row 5: k2, yo, k1, yo, k2
row 6: p
row 7: k2, yo, k3, yo, k2
row 8: p
row 9: k2, yo, k5, yo, k2
row 10: p
row 11: k2, yo, k7, yo, k2
row 12: p
row 11: k2, yo, k9, yo, k2
decreasing with yo decreasing slant
row 13: k2, ssk, yo, ssk, k7, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k2
row 14: p
row 15: k2, ssk, yo, ssk, k5, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k2
row 16: p
row 17: k2, ssk, yo, ssk, k3, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k2
row 18: p
row 19: k2, ssk, yo, ssk, k1, k2tog, yo, k2tog, k2
row 20: p
increasing with Decorative Increase

decreasing with k2tog and ssp

Shouldn’t row 3 - row 3: k2, yo, p2 - actually be row 3: k2, yo, k2? But good for you, I was too tired last night to look at it and write it out.

nice catch.

Im thinking its still not right… I think she did decreases and increase on EACH row – not every other row like I do above… but its a start

It’s probably easier to learn them on the knit side first. You could do incs on the knit rows, then decs on the knit rows, and for the next diamond, do them on the purl rows.

Thank you both for your input! Jessica thank you for working on that pattern! I am a little confused since all I know how to do Is K and P, but I will figure it out sooner or later!!

Sharman

You’re still knitting and purling, just doing 2 sts at once sometimes. Watch the videos for each type of decrease, follow along with your needles and you’ll get it.