Need help with this pattern

Hi everyone,
I’m having some problems understanding the following pattern for a blouse.
This is part of the pattern…

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Cable pattern is worked over 14 sts and 12 rows[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=Baskerville][FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 1: K all sts[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 2: P all sts[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 3: (K 6, sl 2 wyib, K 6) to end[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 4: (P 6, sl 2 wyif, P 6) to end[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 5: (K 4, C3R, C3L, K4) to end[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 6: P all sts[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 7-8: Rpt rows 1-2[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 9: (sl 1 wyib, K 12, sl 1 wyib) to end[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 10: (sl 1 wyif, P 12, sl 1 wyif) to end[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 11: (C3L, K8, C3R,) to end[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 12: P all sts[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT] [/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Instructions[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=Baskerville][SIZE=2][COLOR=#004082][FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT]Back[/FONT][/LEFT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Baskerville][SIZE=1][FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Using smaller needles, cast on 93[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2][97: 103: 109: 115] sts.[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 1: K 1, (K 1, P 1) to last 2 sts,[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]K 2.[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Row 2: P 2, (K 1, P 1) to last st, P 1.[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Cont in single rib as set with[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]selvedge st at each edge until piece[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]meas 4 cm (1.5 inches), ending with[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]a RS row. (WS): Work 46 [48: 51: 54:[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]57] sts. Work into front and back of[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]next st (1 st inc’d). Work in pattern[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]to end of row. 94 [98: 104: 110:[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]116] sts.[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]Change to larger needles and work[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]rows 1 and 2 of cable stitch pattern.[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]Foundation row (row 3 of cable[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]pattern): K 4 [6: 2: 5: 1], (sl 2, K 12)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]to last 6 [8: 4: 7: 3] sts, sl 2, K 4 [6:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]2: 5: 1].[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]Cont from row 4 of cable stitch[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]pattern as set for 3 more rows.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2][/SIZE] [/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2][COLOR=black]My problem starts with the portion highlighted in red. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]1. What does foundation row means? It says row 3 of cable pattern…but when i refer to the cable pattern, it is different. I’m knitting the smallest size, so i do understand that i need to knit 4 stitches (as opposed to those in the parentheses). [/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]2. If i knit according to the foundation row, K4 (sl2, K12) to last 6 sts, sl 2, K4… then what about for Row 4? Do i knit according to the pattern in the cable stitch pattern or do i have to do a P4(sl2, P12) …etc? [/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT] [/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]I hope my questions are not confusing all of you…[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT][SIZE=2]thank you![/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]
[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][LEFT] [/SIZE][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT]
[/FONT]

The foundation row is sort of like a set-up row, getting ready to begin the cable pattern. I don’t think that this foundation row is necessarily supposed to be identical to row 3 of the cable pattern, but instead it’s indicating where you’re going to begin the cable pattern. To clarify (hopefully), since you’re starting the cable pattern at row 4, the foundation row is like doing a row 3, even though you’re just doing the foundation row. Does that make sense?

I think that in order to do what they’re asking, you should knit the foundation row the way they specify and then start the cable pattern with row 4.

Thanks redheadrachel for your advice. I’ll try working on a pc of scrap yarn to see how it turns out. by the way, another question is, what does it mean when it says “cont… … [I]as set[/I]”? What does ‘as set’ means? my understanding is to follow exactly what the cable pattern indicates…is that correct?
Thank yoU!

I believe the set is referring to the whole set of cable pattern directions, as in Rows 1-12 of the cable pattern is the set.

That’s correct - to `cont… as set’ is to keep working in the any pattern that has been established - it uses that term after the first 2 rib rows too.