Need help with terms

I am working on a baby afghan and the abbreviations yo-yarn over and yrn-yarn around needle are both used in the same row. I’ve tried to find the “difference” in the two terms and most say they are the same thing. The only thing that I see in the pattern is that one is used after a purl stitch and the other is used after a knit stitch. Can someone help me or direct me to a video that will clear this up for me.

I’ve always understood that they are the same thing, too. Is it an old pattern?

Some people consider there to be four types of “yarnovers”

between a knit and a knit stitch - yarn starts in back, goes between the needles, and back over the needle.

BEtween a knit and a purl stitch yarn starts in back, goes between the needles to the front, over the needle to the back, between the needles to end up in front for the purl.

between a purl and a knit stitch - yarn starts in front and goes OVER the needle to the back

between a purl and a purl stitch. yarn starts in front, goes OVER the needle to the back, and back between the needles to the front.

The actual yarnover is the loop over the top of the needle; which is the same in all four cases.

Jan…I don’t think it is an old pattern…I purchased the kit from Mary Maxim…Little Blossoms Baby Blanket.

It’s probably from Canada or the UK. The YO abbreviations yfwd, yon, yrn are all British terms.

Thanks…when holding this while working the pattern it makes more sense. I think I’ve got it!