Need help with stitch key

Hi, I need help with a couple of the instructions for the stitch key.
Here is the link to the pattern it is the stitch key and chart on page 3: https://schachenmayr.com/en/free-patterns/top-down-shirt-s10220
I am not sure how to knit the following sts.
The box with the circled 3 = 1 yarn over, on the following round, work k1, yarn over, k1 into the yarn over = 2 sts increased.
Also the box with the shaded circled 3 = work 3 sts into 1 st as follows: knit into back of st, yarn over and knit into front of same st = 2 sts increased.
These are the odd numbered rows on the chart and on even rows it states to purl.
Thank you for any help that you can give me.

Work the yarn over on the given row (row3 for example). On the next row, make a k1, yo, k1 into the yarn over as shown in the video. The video makes the sts into a knit stitch but you’ll be working into the yarn over from row 3.

A process similar to the video works for the shaded circle except that you make the first knit into the back loop of a knit stitch rather than a yarn over.

Thank you for your help salmaonmac with this pattern. I have one more question going back to the stitch key and chart line 9 has the stitch key 3 at the beginning of the chart on the right and a lighter key 3 at the end on the left of the chart I am not sure how to follow this? After you answer this question how do I follow through on chart line 11, not sure if that means I will be knitting the KYOK for both. Thank you for the help in advance.

I would work out 2-3 repeats on scrap yarn for this chart. It seems to me that you need to make the yarn over on one row and then the KYOK on the next. For the yarn overs on the previous row, it looks like you’ll have 2 yarn overs next to each other (a double yo) in the repeat. Just treat each as a separate stitch.
Both the 3 symbols seem to be the same although one is lighter than the other. Neither look like shaded 3 bdymbol.

@Barb21 [quote=“Barb21, post:4, topic:130120”]
stitch key and chart line 9 has the stitch key 3 at the beginning of the chart on the right and a lighter key 3 at the end on the left of the chart I am not sure how to follow this?
[/quote]

The difference between unshaded 3 and shaded 3 stitch keys is weather your are working then in a YO or a sts from the previous row.

Also, it says in the instructions to work the even rows that aren’t shown on the chart in purl? If you’re working in the round in stockinette stitch, which this sweater appears to be worked in, then every row is a knit row unless you’re working back and forth on circular needles. You would have to be knitting in order to follow the instructions above to knit 1, yarn over, knit 1 in the yarn over of the previous row.

That reference to purling the even rounds looks like a mistake. As you say, in the round every row is a knit row for stockinette.

Unless the yoke is in reverse stockinette which it doesn’t appear to be looking at the photo (yup, I even dragged out a magnifying glass!)…and given you have to k1, yo, k1 in the yarn over in the next row-would that mean you’d have to purl 1, yo, purl 1? I agree with you salmonmac, it sure does look like a mistake in the directions to me too…

Thank you this really helps.

Thank you for your help with the stitch key directions.

Thank you it makes more sense to knit the even number rows vers purl them.

1 Like

Thank you for the help with this pattern and it makes more sense to knit the even rows rather than purl them.
Luckily I have been very busy and have not gotten to far into this pattern. I can now go back and start this pattern the correct way.