Need help with spider lace pattern

Hello all,
I am working on a stole with a spider lace pattern. The even rows are all purls and there are 114 stitches. At row 3, it reads YO, K3, YO, Slip 1, K2tog, PSSO. I’m new to knititing but I have done this row 3 times and it does not end well. I always have two stitches left over that I don’t know what to do with. I have counted out the stitches for row 5 and they equal 114 but the same thing happens again in row 7. Can someone help me?

What is your pattern? If you can post a link that’s great but the exact name of the pattern and the designer would probably let us find it.

For that repeat you start and end with 6 sts. If I’m counting wrong someone else will catch it.

It is the Lucky Spider Stole by Jennifer Luker in the loveknitting website. So I obviously am not counting correctly but why am I ending with two stitches left over? Thank you so much for your reply

I posted a response as a new reply. Also, can you tell me how you count the 6 stitches?

Thanks for the link! It helps a lot.

I can do it. I’m not sure I can explain it right now. I’m going to leave you in more capable hands, someone like @salmonmac. I think I can link directly to the pdf.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
The repeat (YO, K3, YO, Slip 1, K2tog, PSSO) takes 6sts to work and leaves you with 6sts.
For the repeat, the k3 counts as 3sts,
slip one takes one stitch
k2tog takes 2sts for a total of 6sts.

The yo often causes the problem. It doesn’t use a stitch. Just bring the yarn to the front between the needles then over the right needle to the back.

It may help to mark off the row in sets of 6sts to help keep you on track to finish having completed a full repeat.

Thank you for the explanation. I guess my confusion comes when you add the yarn overs, doesn’t that “add” 2 stitches for the next row? It’s my understanding that I started with 114 co and I need to finish with 114 co, right? My problem is I still have those 2 stitches left over when I finish the row.

Thanks. PDF didn’t work

Yes, the yarn overs add 2sts but there is a corresponding decrease of 2sts in the repeat.
The slip 1, k2tog psso is a double decrease. That’ll maintain the stitch count in each repeat.

Thank you so much!!! That video was perfect! I was doing the PSSO as an independent stitch and thus adding 2 stitches!

Great news! Enjoy working this lovely pattern.

After almost giving up on this pattern, I finally got through the spider lace set!!! Thank you so much. I just started knitting 2 months ago and I was getting very frustrated! Just for future knowledge, is PSSO ever a stitch by itself? The how to video I watched to learn it made it seem like it was an independent stitch!

1 Like

No, I’ve never seen it alone. It’s always preceded by a slip stitch usually with a knit stitch or two or maybe a k2tog in between.
I’m impressed that you’re working your way through this pattern after only 2 months knitting. Good for you! If any more questions come up, please come back and of course, we’d love to see a photo of the finished shawl.
Here’s a link to the KH Glossary which defines some sts with video.
https://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-glossary

Thanks! I recently found myself with a lot of free time on my hands and someone habe me an introductory lesson and then I’ve just been learning on my own. I get too bored just going back and forth so I’ve done a scarf in two colors, a neck warmer in two colors, and a baby hat. This is my first big pattern. I’ve run into anther snag though. Row 5 ends on a YO and row 6 starts in a pearl. How do i do that?

That’s a bit unusual. I’d just do a backward loop cast on. The video starts with a slip knot but you can ignore that, just put one of the “e” loops on the needle and purl it on the next row.
Same thing comes up in rows 7 and 8.

Do that instead of the last YO?

Yes, replace the last yarn over with the single cast on. It’s pretty difficult to purl into the final yarn over but you do want to add a stitch. The backward loop cast on locks the loop over the needle and makes it easier to purl into.