Need help with seamless yoked baby sweater pattern

I am trying to knit this sweather for my niece that will be coming soon. I am having trouble with the pattern if anyone is framiliar here it is http://www.knittingonthenet.com/patterns/babysweyokecard.htm So I cast on 60 stitches and now I am at Row 9: K 4, *increase in next st, K 2, * repeat between stars across, end K 4 (78 sts). The problem is that I am not getting 78 stitches in the end and I am getting 87, Am I missing something?

When it says to increase in the next stitch, you should do a kfb in that stitch, so you use one stitch for the increase and then knit the 2 after that. So you use three stitches for each increase repeat. If you’ve been doing a m1 increase between stitches, that would give you too many increases.

Yep I knit the 4 stitches and then did the increase by picking up a stitch and then I knit 2. How do you do a kfb? Sorry to sound confused but have not heard of that increase. Also should I have 60 stitches coming into that row?

Yes, it looks like you should have 60 to start with . Kfb is to knit into the front and back of the stitch–kfb

Thank you I did the kfb stitch and came out with 78 stitches yeah!

:happydance: :happydance:

Well I got this far to Row 23: Work row in K and buttonhole same end as in row 3–repeating buttonhole every 11th ridge (for larger size do 2nd buttonhole in row 27, having a buttonhole every 12th ridge)
in the pattern and and trying to figure out what the ridge is. Is it the same as row?

When you work garter stitch, you get purl ridges every other row. It’s easier to count the ridges than the rows in garter.

So I can just go onto Row 24 now and count the ridges and when I get to the 11th I make another button hole?

Right.

Thanks so far everything is going great, now that I have my bearing and am ready to place my markers? I was trying to figure out if I work those rows in stockinette stitch or just knit. So you don’t have to go back and look I just finished
Work even in stockinette stitch with garter stitch button bands for 2 (6) rows. This will leave you on the WS, ready to place the markers.

And am getting ready to:

Place Markers (WS): Work 26 (30)sts, place marker; work 26 (27) sts, place marker, work 46 (54) sts, place marker, work 26 (27) sts, place marker, work last 26 (30)sts.—(150)(168) sts total
Increase Row: K to within 2 sts of marker, increase in next st, K 1, pass marker, increase in next st; repeat between *’s 3 times (8 sts added)
Next Row: K 4, P across to within 4 sts of end, K 4

It looks like you should work in stockinette stitch, so purl since you’re on the wrong side to place the markers. Continue to work the button band in garter, though.

I just finished purling so I should purl again the next row because it says (WS)? and then knit the following row? :thinking:

They have you place the markers on the purl row (ws) and the next row (increase row) is knit, with a purl row after that.

If you just purled a row, then that was probably the row where you should have placed the markers. You can place them as you knit the increase row, you’ll just have to do more counting.

This will leave you on the WS, ready to place the markers.

Place Markers (WS): Work 26 (30)sts, place marker; work 26 (27) sts, place marker, work 46 (54) sts, place marker, work 26 (27) sts, place marker, work last 26 (30)sts.—(150)(168) sts total
Increase Row: K to within 2 sts of marker, increase in next st, K 1, pass marker, increase in next st; repeat between *’s 3 times (8 sts added)
Next Row: K 4, P across to within 4 sts of end, K 4

Repeat these two rows 4 (5) more times. (190 )(216) sts, putting sleeves on holder on the last (WS) row. Count ridges. 3rd buttonhole is coming up!

This was my last step “Work even in stockinette stitch with garter stitch button bands for 2 (6) rows. This will leave you on the WS, ready to place the markers.” I did it for 2 rows. That’s where I last purled. So I am now ready to place markers so I should just purl again, am I correct? Just want to make sure so I don’t start off on the wrong foot so to speak.

The pattern said to knit a row and then work for two more. That would give you a knit, purl, knit. Then on the next purl you would place the markers.

[i]Row 29: K across (For larger sweater do another increase row here: K 7, inc in next st across, end K 6)

Work even in stockinette stitch with garter stitch button bands for 2 (6) rows. This will leave you on the WS, ready to place the markers.[/i]

Row 29 was a knit; 30 would be purl; 31 would be knit and the next row would be the purl to place the markers.

I did that part wrong and had to take it out but it is all fixed and now I am here "Repeat these two rows 4 (5) more times. (190 )(216) sts, putting sleeves on holder on the last (WS) row. Count ridges. 3rd buttonhole is coming up! " I just finished row 4 and realized it said to put the sleeves on a holder. But it does not say what stitches the sleeves are. Looking at the sweater I am assumming they are between the markers, but am not really sure at all because this is the next row Next Row (RS): Work to within 2 sts of marker, increase in next st, K 1, remove marker, CO 4 sts under arm, remove marker, increase in next st; work across the back and repeat between stars (130) (150) sts

You have the two fronts, and the back. Between these on each side are the sleeves. You’ll put the sleeves on holders and attach the fronts to the back under the arm and work this in one piece all the way down.

You’ll go back and do the sleeves later.

I just realized I could post a picture. Looking at the picture my sleeve’s should be the stitches in between the green and yellow and blue and red markers?

Oh and should I have purled them in that last row?

The second and fourth sections are the arms.

The outer ones are the fronts and the center one is the back.

You should have, according to the pattern, put the sleeves on their holders on the last row, but to be honest, I’d just knit a row and do it on the next purl row. Your sweater body will be a couple of rows longer, but it won’t make that much difference and you won’t have to take out a row.