Need help with pattern

[SIZE=“2”][COLOR=“DarkOrange”]Hi I am trying to knit this beanie but I don’t quite understand the decreasing section the beanie is worked in st st but when I get to the decreasing it seems to change i think or am i supposed to continue working in st st because after each decrease rnd it says to knit do they really mean knit or continue in pattern st and if i am really y supposed to knit wouldn’t that change the way the hat looks wouldn’t that be garter stitch and not st st???Lost and confused…[/COLOR][/SIZE]This is a copy of the Pattern :

BEANIE STYLE
Instructions
Worsted weight yarn is yarn with a label gauge of 4 to 4 1/2 stitches per inch, usually knitted on size 7 or 8 needles.

Body of cap:
Cast on 72 stitches and join into a circle, being careful not to twist.
Work one inch of K1P1 rib, then increase 8 stitches evenly spaced around, as described above. (80 Sts) Work in stockinette until total length is about 4 1/2 or 5 inches. Add contrast stripes if you like, as described above.
Crown shaping:
Decrease round: k 8, k2tog around.
K 3 rounds.
Decrease round: k 7, k2tog around.
K 2 rounds.(64 sts)
Decrease round: k 6, k2tog around.
K 2 rounds.
Decrease round: k 5, k2tog around.
K 2 rounds.
Decrease round: k 4, k2tog around.
K 1 round.
Decrease round: k 3, k2tog around.
K 1 round.
Decrease round: k 2, k2tog around.
K 1 round.
Decrease round: k 1, k2tog around.
Decrease round: k2tog around.
Cut yarn, leaving an 8" tail. Thread the tail through a blunt needle, and run the needle through the remaining 8 stitches and pull them tightly together. Run the needle through the circle again, piercing the yarn to help prevent it from pulling loose, take the yarn inside through the center hole and fasten off.

Have you been working “in a circle” as the pattern states, or have you been working flat, turning your work after every row??? If you have been working in a circle, the pattern is correct. All knit stitches when knitting in the round produces stockinette stitch, not garter stitch.

If you have actually been working this pattern flat, then in order for the decrease section to be correct you will have to purl wrong side rows and knit right side rows in order to keep the stockinette.

The pattern seems to be correct. What you are doing is gradually decreasing the shape of the hat as you go from bottom to top. So on the the first decrease round you will knit two (2) stitches together then knit eight [ 8 ] stitches plain (repeat this pattern) across the 80 stitches you have been working so far. Then just knit straight (no decreases) for the next three (3) rounds before you start on your next decrease round and so on. Since you are knitting in the round just knitting (no purling) will give you a stockinette stitch fabric. HTH.
Katrina

As I understand the pattern, Yes, once you start decreasing it does change.

“Work in stockinette [B][U]until[/U][/B] total length is about 4 1/2 or 5 inches.”

Then you start decreasing

You do not continue working in st st (Knit 1 round, purl 1 round ) just Knit when it says to knit.

Hope this is helpful
-Tracy

i forgot i was working the pattern flat and that it was suppose to be done in the round… I appreciate your help …I feel sooooo stupid…