Need Help with Pattern in New Colour

Hello Everyone,
I am new to knitting and hope that you can help me out.
I am knitting a scarf in black.
I want to add this pattern at both ends (in red):
http://www.breedlist.com/personal/hordesymbol.pdf

I am very confused by how to start knitting in red. All of the videos and instructions I have been able to find only show knitting full rows or blocks in colour - but this pattern just calls for a certain number of stitches in new colour (1 stitch in row 1).
Thank you for any help you can send my way!

oh pretty!

It is as simple as this: just start knititng!

ok so that may be a bit too simple so what i would recomend is tying the end of the new colour (colour B) onto the strand of original yarn (colour A) with a small knot and sliding the knot down so it is close to the knitting … then start knitting with the new colour. When you have to change back to Colour A then just carry it across the back of your work in a loose strand, twist it around colour B so that they are linked togetehr and start knitting away with it.

when you say “twist it around” what does that mean exactly? lol

when you say “twist it around” what does that mean exactly? lol

Bring the new color up from under the old so they wrap. If you don’t do this the transition will be a hole.

cam

Thank you everyone for the help. Can you confirm that I will need to knit one row and purl next - as opposed to garter stitch whole thing? Also, how do you end rows - just twist like the carries? Thank you again, I have barely started this project and am already doubting it - LOL

Depends on whether the pattern calls for garter or stockinette. (yes, I know that’s not really helpful :wink: ) But given that you’re doing a pattern, yeah, “knit row / purl row / repeat” would probably be best – that way, when the scarf’s finished, each ‘square’ of the pattern is the same shape and size.

Also, how do you end rows - just twist like the carries?

You won’t be carrying the red yarn with you the whole way. When you’re doing the first row of the pattern, you do black up to the red bit, and then do the red bit, twist the yarns together, and just drop the red, continuing the rest of the row in black. End the row like normal, and go back on the next row; when you get to where the pattern is, the red yarn that you dropped will be close, so you can just pick it up, twist, and do the pattern. When that row’s bit of the pattern is done, you can drop the red again (after twisting) and continue with the black.

(You’ll need to carry the main scarf color, black, through the pattern, since it’s used on both sides and sometimes in the middle, but you don’t need to carry the pattern color, red, through the sides of the scarf.)

Thank you again, I have barely started this project and am already doubting it - LOL

If it makes you feel any better, the second knitting project I ever started was a complicated scarf that had, like, ribbing and cabling and all sorts of tricks. (This was when I was basically [I]learning to knit[/I] still.) …I, er, never quite finished it, and there are about six inches of complicated scarf still sitting in a bag somewhere, so maybe that isn’t the best example to use… :rofl: