Need help with pattern directions

HELP! I thought I had figured out what I was supposed to do with these instructions but when I knit it up…it’s definitely wrong! It just looks like random holes, there is definitely no V-pattern.

I’ve attached a scan of the portion of the pattern i’m having problems with. This portion should make the V-pattern in the top portion of the hat.

Where it says…“yfwd, s1, k1, psso” in Row 1, Do I…
a) put the yfwd, sl1, then put the yarn back to do the knit or
b) put the yfwd, sl1, keep the yarn forward, and then do the k1 (and thus inc 1 this way)?

Doing it the second way seems to make it awfully jumbly and hard to manoever. But I did it the first way and it doesn’t look like it’s supposed to at all.

If I do it the second way, how do I do the psso? Does it go over 2 stitches?

I guess whatever I do with Row 1, I would also do with Rows 3 and 5 too.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Julie

b) put the yfwd, sl1, keep the yarn forward, and then do the k1 (and thus inc 1 this way)?

Yes. The yarn will go back over the ndl to do the K1.

Yes, over 2 sts. The yfwd (and then going back over the ndl to work the K1) [B]AND[/B] the K1 are now to the left of the slipped st. The yarn going back over the ndl may be at a slight angle but the slip will be lifted over that and the K st. The lifted slip st will cause the decorative st pattern given it occurs in diff places on the diff rows. It may not be obvious the first few rows…or even fully visible until you’ve done most of the detail rows.

On this question -

It’s no. The slip stitch is after the YO, and you just pass it over the knit st only. Then YO stays in place to make the hole.

suzeeq is correct. The yarn going back over the ndl, depending on how loose or snug, kind of sts on top of the slipped st…so it may shift a bit right or left… so you may need to pull it out from under the yrn over the ndl.

Thanks to both of you for your quick responses!

I’m going to rip it out and try again. Wish me luck!!

Julie