Need help with my first sock!

I’m making my first sock, a sock for my toddler using the North Country Cotton Baby Socks pattern.

Thank goodness for Amy’s video! I have watched it a few times. I’m to the point where I pick up stitches along the heel.

I’m a tad confused and want to make sure I’m doing it right! Can anyone help me?

I’ve picked up eight stitches along the heel. I’m confused about where it says to use a “new needle”. Does this mean a needle without any stitches? Or just a needle that is not the needle I used to pick up stitches with the first time?

It sounds like now that I Have picked up eight stitches, and have 14 stitches on the needle I used the heel for (six were already there, and I picked up eight), now I will knit across the other two needles, and use the last needle to pick up the other eight stitches.

Is that right?

After that, I will just divide the stitches up between the needles so they’re even… right? That’s not just supposed to happen magically is it?

The video sort of skips over this tiny little part, and since I don’t really know what I’m doing I have myself a little confused!!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me. :slight_smile:

Yes, you use an empty needle to knit across the next 2 needles and another empty needle to pick up the next 8 stitches and knit 3 off of the heel stitches . Then, yes the stitches will be divided correctly for the rest of the sock all by themselves. The point you are at now is the back of the heel, so needle 1 holds 1/2 the heel, needle 2 holds the top, and needle 3 holds the other 1/2 of the heel. Isn’t life great?