Need help with girl’s jumper

Hi, I’ve been knitting for a while, but this is my first time with a jumper and I’m confused with the directions. Would appreciate some help with this! Here’s the pattern:

Here are the things I’m unsure about:

1. Set-up round: I cast on 72 stitches, but after finishing the set-up round, I got up to half of the third work chart (left sleeve) and ran out of stitches. I’ve gone back and redone in several times with same result. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong, if I’m reading the work chart wrong or setting up the round wrong?

2. In round 1, the instructions say sM, k1, LLI, k to lace…
    What does k to lace mean?

Thank again!
Vee

Welcome to the forum!

The chart looks like it takes 19sts to work (you should have 21 sts after the chart is worked). Are you working the yarn over by itself or are you working a knit stitch after the yarn over? The yarn over consists of bringing the yarn to the front between the needles then over the right needle to the back. That’s it. There’s no automatic knit stitch to go with. That could be throwing off the stitch count.

“k to lace” means knit to the lace chart.

What is the name of the pattern please?

Thanks so much for your help! You were right, I was knitting the yo as a two part thing which was throwing off the stitch count.

The pattern is called Bloomsbury kids :slight_smile:

Oh, great! What an adorable pattern. Thanks for the link.