Need help with Christmas stocking

Hi, all! I’m new to the forum and have a question for anyone who can help.

I would like to knit a Christmas stocking for a friend of mine. It is on 2 straight needles, and sewn together when finished. it is done in stockinette and the way that it works is as follows:

8 rib rows in red
10 stockinette rows with name incorporated in different colors (intarsia, I guess?) in white with red or green letters
Main body of stocking done in red with intarsia design

Here’s my question…

My friend is having a baby soon, but she doesn’t know the name. I’d love to be able to work on the majority of the stocking, and then go back and finish up the top.

Is there a way to do this? Can you just rip out the cast-on and knit in the other direction? Or will this cause the Vs of the stockinette to go up instead of down? (I don’t even know if that makes sense.)

Basically, I want to lengthen the stocking upwards after knitting the whole thing downwards…

What if you finished the stocking, left the name section plain and added the name with a duplicate embroidery stitch afterwards?

Here’s a tutorial:Duplicate Stitch and another here: Duplicate Stitch

Thank you for the reply. I thought about doing duplicate stitch, but whenever I do it, I can always see the base color through the top color. :sad: