Need help with Cast on for a shawl

Hi everyone!

I havent been knitting that long, but I figured that after making a few scarves, mittens and a lace scarf for my mother, I could try for a shawl. So I chose the Forget-me-not shawlfrom elann.

I understand all the pattern, except… the cast on! You can figure, I cant begin working on it before I do :mrgreen:

Here’s what the pattern says;

"[B]Cast on: [/B]Shawl begins at the center back using provisional cast on. With contrast color scrap yarn and crochet hook, chain 8. With shawl yarn pick up and knit 4 sts in the bumps on the back side of the center 4 chains - 4 sts. Knit 6 rows. Next row, K4>, pick up and knit 1 st in each of the 3 garter ridges along selvedge edge of the piece, unzip scrap yarn chain to expose 4 sts at base of the piece, place these 4 sts onto left needle, K4. (11 sts total) "

So I watched the video on how todo a provisional cast-on, which I understand. Where my brain stop is : [I]With contrast color scrap yarn and crochet hook, chain 8. With shawl yarn pick up and knit 4 sts in the bumps on the back side of the center 4 chains - 4 sts.[/I]

Knit 4 sts in the bumps of what? :?? I’m a bit confused by the rest of it, since I’ve never done anything like this…

Any advice would really help me! Even if you can just link me some video or tutorial, I would apreciate it a lot! Thanks in advance everyone! :muah:

When you make a crochet chain, there’s a chain side and bumps on the other side. Pick up the 4 sts in the bumps.

Make life simple.

Change the directions to:

with waste yarn cast on four stitches. Change to shawl yarn - knit 7 rows.
Next row, K4; pick up and knit 1 st in each of the 3 garter ridges along selvedge edge of the piece,;
remove waste yarn putting the 4 stitches on a needle, and knit across the four stitches.

you now have 11 stitches

Thanks a lot you both for your advices!

I think I will make my life simpler, and use your way Mmario (I am more used to that)

Im still not sure about the last part though [I](pick up and knit 1 st in each of the 3 garter ridges along selvedge edge of the piece,;
remove waste yarn putting the 4 stitches on a needle)[/I]

Wich are the 3 garter ridges… and the selvedge? : :?? Does this means I will “fold” the knitted rows on themselves by knitting it together? (Im sure I am not clear now!)

I’m french , so sometimes I am confused with the terms! I’ll try to find a french-english knitting dictionnary, or pictures maybe!

Thanks for your help!

stares at the pattern for a few minutes :??

What it sounds like to me is that you have a small block of knitting, four stitches by six rows; and then after you knit the seventh row, you pick up three stitches along the side – selvedge is just the edge of the knitting, formed by the end stitches of each row, as far as I understand it – and then add the cast-on stitches. I’m not entirely sure what that would do to the fabric in between – it’ll probably be scrunched along the side you picked up stitches on, and stretched along the other side – but this may be a case of trusting the pattern :slight_smile:

You know that does make some sense… it’s a little bit like I imagined it, but since I can’t really “see” the result in my head, I had a hard time figuring it…

I will give it a try and see what I end up with crosses her fingers and hopes it wont be a disaster

The first part forms a small rectangle which is the back of the neck. You knit along 3 sides of it and with the increases it forms a shawl shape in a couplathree inches.

There is a video right here on knittinghelp.com that shows exactly how to do a provisional cast on!!! I LOVE THIS SITE !!!

Exactly as Isabeau says - you knit 4 stiches x 7 rows in garter stitch, then pick up three stitches along the edge (one for each of the garter stitch ‘ridges’,) then you pick up 4 stitches along the original cast on end.

it will look scrunched - but as you increase it will straghten out. It gives a straight line along the neck rather then the little point a lot of top down shawls end up with.

Thank you all, I finally did the first part yesterday and its going really well! I should be able to begin the body of the shawl this weekend :smiley:

I have an other question though… on the body of the shawl, part I (that uses chart I), I have to do this part 3 times… ok. And there is the number of stiches for each of this repeat at the end of each row… I understand that too.

What I dont get it :

From * to * is a 16 sts repeat. Work additional repeats on subsequent repeats

How many times am I supposed to repeat this part? Do I simply have to count the number of stitches Im supposed to end with?

For example; I counted that for the first row, on the second repeat, I have to get 119 stiches.
So I substracted 55 from 119 (55 being the number of stiches the first time you do that row, without repeats), wich gives me 64.
64 / 16 = 4
so I would do the repeat 4 more times?
It seems to be right if I count for the other rows.

My next question is; where do I do those repeats?
Do I do them just besides one another?
(as for example: Edging, 3 repeats, Center, 3 repeats, Edging)

I hope I’ve been clear enough for you to folow me… if not, I can always try to re-formulate…hehe

“Work additional repeats on subsequent repeats [I]of row 21-52 sequence[/I]”

And later, it has “Repeat chart 1, row 21- 52 total of 3 times” – so it /sounds/ like the first time through, on rows 21-52, you do the asterisked sections once; and then when you finish row 52 you go back and do rows 21-52 again, only with the asterisked sections twice each; and then you go back and do 21-52 /again/, only with the asterisked sections three times each.

And yeah, it would be one beside another.

Okay, I just wanted to make sure I understood that right!

Thank you all for your help! I will show you the result when I finish (it should take a while, although Im hoping to finish it by Christmas :slight_smile: )