Need help with Baby botties pattern

Hi, I am in the middle of this pattern and got stuck. I understand everything until the following part:

Top of foot shaping:

• Next round (set up round): K20, M1, turn.
  • Next row (purl short row): Slip 1 as to purl, P8, M1, turn.
  • Next row (knit short row): Slip 1 as to purl, K8, M1, turn.

(Note: For mirrored increases, when working M1 on the purl row, insert left needle into bar between prior and next stitch worked from back to front to “make” new stitch; then purl this new stitch. When working M1 on the knit row, insert left needle into bar between prior and next stitch worked from front to back to “make” new stitch; then knit into the back of this new stitch.)

• Work these two rows until there are a total of 52 stitches. Do not turn work after the M1 of the final purl row.
  • Slip next stitch onto right needle, bring yarn to opposite side of work, then return the slipped stitch to the left needle. (This is “wrapping” the stitch.) Now turn work.
  • Knit to end of round (which will be the back of the bootie).

Like I understand how to M1 but which needle do I keep that M1 on and later where do I M1 from, it becomes almost impossible to M1. And also not quite sure by what they mean by what’s in the “Note in the parenthases”.

I hope what I am asking is making sense.

Please please help i am dying to make these…

TIA
L.

You’re going to pull up the yarn in between the sts with your left needle, and then purl or knit it onto the right, depending on which row you are on.

The part in parentheses is telling you how to do the M1’s on the short rows where you are purling and knitting. It is telling you “mirror” so that they look symmetrical, “mirror” eachother.

Thank you so much! But I am still not clear… Sorry.

When I M1 the first time it seems fine but when I try to do it the subsequent times it becomes impossible.

And what does the “short row” mean? Which one is it?

i am sorry if I sound tupid…:aww:

Everything in the note is just telling you how to work the M1 on either a knit or a purl row.

Any row where you turn and do not work the whole row of stitches on the needle is called a short row. I have numbered the three rows below. Row 1 is a set up row and you only do it once. They call row 2 a purl short row and they call row 3 a knit short row. So rows 2 and 3 and all the repeats of them you are working short rows. (You might even consider row 1 a short row.)

Here are the rows numbered:
*1. Next round (set up round): K20, M1, turn.
*2. Next row (purl short row): Slip 1 as to purl, P8, M1, turn.
*3. Next row (knit short row): Slip 1 as to purl, K8, M1, turn.

Here is more detail about how to work the three rows:

Row 1: K20, M1 by picking up the strand between the next two stitches with the left needle from front to back and knit into the back of that strand so that you make a new stitch on the right hand needle. Now turn to work in the other direction.

Row 2: With the yarn in the back slip the first stitch on the left hand needle as if to purl. Bring the yarn to the front between the needle tips and purl 8. M1 by inserting the left hand needle into the strand between the next 2 stitches from front to back and purl that picked up strand onto the right needle. Turn to work in the other direction.

Row 3: With the yarn to the back, slip the first stitch purl wise. Knit the next 8 stitches. M1 by picking up the strand from front to back and knitting into the back of it. Turn to work in the other direction.

Keep repeating rows 2 and 3 until you have 52 stitches. Evidently the last row ends up being a purl row, after you do the M1 at the end of that row don’t turn, but slip the next stitch to the right hand needle, take the yarn to the back, put the slipped stitch back on the left hand needle. Now turn to work in the opposite direction. (You have wrapped that one stitch) Knit to the end of that round.

Then on the next round pick up the wrap with its stitch as you knit it. (The picking up the wrap row is the first round of the “sides and bottom of the bootie”.)

I hope spelling it out with a little more continuity helps.

Thank you sooooooooo much! But I think my biggest issue is that after I finish my first “row2 and row3” and start repeating them, I really don’t know where to M1 from… it becomes so tight that there is no in-between bar where I can M1 from…

I wonder what would happen if you just used a simple backward loop M1? It might be worth trying.

That little strand between stitches has always got to be there but I suppose it can get tight in some situations and this sure could be one of them.