Need help with a shawl pattern

I’d like to make this [www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-prayerShawl.html+shawl%2Bhomespun%2Bfree+pattern&hl=en]prayer](http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:ZneixDC2GB4J:[url) shawl for a friend of mine.

I want to make it out of Homespun, as suggested in this Lion Brand pattern. What I’m uncertain about is the size of needles to use. The pattern states:

Size 10.5 (6.5 mm) through 15 (10 mm) knitting needles (for knitted version)

The shawl is supposed to be approximately 24 inches x 60 inches. That’s quite a range of needles sizes to use, and I’m not sure which to use to get the approximated size, which is a size I’d like it to be. :??

That’s strange–since there’s no gauge or anything, you’ll probably have to try out the needles with the yarn. Cast on a multiple of 3 and knit a gauge swatch in the specified pattern, and then see how wide your swatch is. You can then figure out how many stitches you need to cast on to make it 24 inches across–for example if you cast on 9 stitches and that is 4", then you’d need to cast on 9X6, or 54. You can also check out the homespun label and use the gauge they give with their recommended needles, but that won’t be as exact. Hope that helps.

That does make sense. I’ll give it a try. Thanks! :smiley: