Need help with a pattern!

I’ve been trying to work on this hat:
[http://www.knitlist.com/00gift/leaf-edge-baby-hat.htm]

…I think i’m missing something fundamental here but in the first line of the pattern I mess something up!

Cast on 8 sts.
[color=red]Row 1 (RS): k5, yo, k1, yo, k2 [/color] --up until now i’ve counted yo as using 1 existing stitch, but if i read “yo” as setting up for the next k1, it works for this line, but not the next!

Row 2: p6, inc, k3 --i’m left with an extra stitch!

please help, I feel like this is really obvious but i just can’t figure it out! :shrug:

Oh wait no I get it now… this is what you do:

Round 1:

Knit 5 stitches

Make a stitch using the Yarn Over method (6 stitches)

knit 1 stitch

Make another stitch using YO method (8 stitches)

Knit 2 (10 stitches)

Round 2:

Purl 6 stitches

INC - which means Knit into the front and then the back of the stitch so you knit the single stitch twice (7 stitches plus the additional one stitch you just made)
Knit the last 3 stitches

Hope that helps

A yo does not use an existing stitch. It creates a new stitch by bringing the yarn from back to front between the two needles, then returning the yarn to the back of your work by bringing it over the right needle. It creates a loop over the right needle and is not actually worked until the following row. Take a look at the ‘Abbreviations Explained’ tab at the top of this page, you will find a video demonstrating a yarn over.

When it says inc, you’re supposed to knit into the front and back of the next stitch (says so under abbreviations on the pattern page). so at the end of row 1 you have 10 stitches, and on row 2 you purl 6 stitches, then in the next stitch you knit into the front and back of that stitch, and then knit 3 stitches, you use up all 10 stitches and shouldn’t have any left over, and at the end of row 2, you’ll have 11 stitches on the needle.

And regarding your second row:

Row 2: p6, inc, k3

In the first row, if you do the yo’s correctly you will end up with 10 stitches. The original 8 plus 2 yo’s = 10.

So then this row 2. purl 6, inc 1 into the next stitch by doing a kfb (knit into front and back of stitch), then end with knit 3 and you will not have any stitches leftover. At the end of row 2 you will have 11 stitches.

thankyou everyone for responding so fast!
it was my yo’s that have been messing up this pattern and another hat pattern i’ve tried in the past. what I was doing was [yo k1] for every [yo] and that obviously doesn’t work!

…well that only took 2 weeks of grief over this silly thing! thankx again
:happydance:

Yarn overs (YOs) are hard for most people because they overanalyze them. I did the same thing when I started knitting.

“Okay, so I wrap the yarn around the needle, then what?”
“That’s it. Just keep following the directions.”
“No, seriously, what else? Do I knit the next stitch while standing on my head?”
“No.”
“Dance around the house chanting yo, yo, yo, yo, a pirate’s life for me?”
“Shut up and follow the pattern.”