Need help w/ Slanting Open-Work Stitch

I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong, but I’m obviously not doing something right :slight_smile: I’ve never followed a pattern in my life & I splurged on a book today at my LYS. My comments or questions about the pattern are in italics.

The book is called Laces & Eyelets, 250 stitches to knit.

This pattern says to start with an even number of stitches. check.

1st row: (right side): Edge St, *yf, k2tog;rep from * to last st, edge st. [I]{I don’t know what EDGE STITCH means! I assume that it just means that I should knit a stitch??? LOL}[/I] [SIZE=“1”]hehehe[/SIZE]

2nd & 4th rows: Purl [I](ok, no prob.)[/I]

3rd row: K2, * yf, k2tog; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2tog. Rep these 4 rows.

Problem comes at the third row where I always manage to decrease by one. I’m sure that I should NOT be decreasing… right? This is causing me to feel a great deal of frustration.

Honestly, if you’re kind enough to respond, please speak slowly, as if you’re talking to a very young child. Use small words… LOL

Thank you so much!
Michelle :slight_smile:

You’re right, the edge stitch is just that. The edge. You only have the edge stitches on row 1.

So let’s say you cast on 10 stitches, you’d end up with

[I]Edge St, *yf, k2tog;rep from * to last st, edge st.[/I]

K YO K YO K YO K YO K K = 10

[I]K2, * yf, k2tog; rep from * to last 2 sts, k2tog.[/I]

KK YO K YO K YO K YO k = 10

Make sense?

Sadly… no it doesn’t make sense…

Although I’ve been knitting like 13 years, this is my first attemt to read a pattern… So, I’m not trying to be difficult, but I’m sorta lost.

Doesn’t the 3rd row on the pattern say that the last two stitches are knit together? That’s where I’m losing my stitch. To me, this is what the pattern says to do for the third row, in regular english :slight_smile:

knit, knit, * yarn forward, knit 2 together; repeat from * to last 2 stitches, knit 2 together [I]{which I’m taking as, knit the last two stitches together}.[/I]

I’m exhausted & my brain is telling me I need sleep now!! I’ll revisit this tomorrow after work :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for taking the time to try to explain this to me.
Michelle :slight_smile:

Yes, the last 2 are knit tog, so that results in one stitch. This -
[I] KK YO K YO K YO K YO k = 10 - [/I]is what you have left at the end of the row.

Argh, just reading this makes my head hurt too - but I think I can see both sides of it.

Ingrid and Suzeeq, I can see what you’re saying, but to me it looks like you’re adding in a YO before the final k2tog that is not in the repeat pattern to match up the increases and decreases.

Like so for row 3:

(10 st on L needle, 0 on R needle)

K2 (8L, 2R)
YO (8L, 3R) k2tog (6L, 4R)
YO (6L, 5R) K2tog (4L, 6R)
YO (4L, 7R) k2tog (2L, 8R)
then there’s 2 st left, so k2tog (9 st on R needle)

I think that’s what Mama Scrappy is doing - yes, in order to not decrease you need another YO, but that’s not what the pattern SAYS.

Mama Scrappy, if I’m visualizing it in my head right, it should look like diagonals of eyelet, right? I think you’re missing a YO - Row 3 should read: “K2 *yfwd, k2tog; rep from * to last 2 sts, yfwd, k2tog.”

Or am I completely insane?

Yes you’re right, there’s only 9 sts, so maybe there is a YO missing from the pattern…

At work today, I was able to do some knitting. I re-approached the the pattern. Following the instructions completely still resulted in a decrease by 1. I remedied this by just doing an additional yo.

It’s a really beautiful book & the funny part of it is on the back in bold print, it says: “All stitches have been tried & tested to guarantee accurate results”, and this is the very first pattern in the book!

LOL

Thanks for jumping in to help :slight_smile:

The pattern may have been test knitted, but typos are made by the printer…

Very often, when a pattern says to work “to the last XX stitches” you don’t need to do a full pattern repeat. So it’s very likely that the ‘extra’ yo that makes it work is supposed to be there.