Need help understanding the pattern

Hi, I’m a fairly new knitter, at least in terms of going beyond K & P stitches.

I am working on a pattern and can’t understand what the pattern is wanting for row 5 and 6. Rows 3 and 4 had yarn overs, so increases. So I know that there need to be equal decreases in row 5 and 6.

Here is the part I don’t understand: K3, pass the 1st of these 3 knit sts over the 2 next knit sts

I don’t know if this is actually stitch that isn’t labeled as such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is the pattern:
Cast on 178 stitches.

Note: The stitches can only be counted after the 6th row.

1st row: K2, *P2, K1, P1, K2, P1, K1*, repeat from * to * to last 8 sts, P2, K1, P1, K2, P2.

2nd row: Repeat first row.

3rd row: K2, *P2, K1, P1, K1, Yo, K1, P1, K1*, repeat from * to * to last 8 sts, P2, K1, P1, K1, Yo, K1, P2.

4th row: K2, *P3, K1, P1, K1, Yo, K1, P1, K1*, repeat from * to * to last 9 sts, P3, K1, P1, K1, Yo, K1, P2.

5th row: K2, *P3, K1, P1, [K3, pass the 1st of these 3 knit sts over the 2 next knit sts], P1, K1* repeat from * to * to last 10 sts, P3, K1, P1, [K3, pass the 1st of these 3 knit sts over the 2 next knit sts], P2.

6th row: K2, *P2, K1, P1, [K3, pass the 1st of these 3 knit sts over the 2 next knit sts], P1, K1*, repeat from * to * to last 9 sts, P2, K1, P1, [**K3, pass the 1st of these 3 knit sts over the 2 next knit sts**], P2.

Pattern

Hello
I think this action is similar to a bind off in terms of working the stitch and passing over and off the needle, but the difference is instead of working 2 stitches and passing 1st over 2nd, you will work 3 stitches and pass the first over the 2nd and 3rd. This means for each time you do this instruction you reduce 3 stitches down to 2 (decrease of 1 stitch).

You could work out how many stitches you have added with the yarn overs from the previous rows and how many will be reduced by the following 2 rows of decreases. This might help you feel more confident to go ahead.

You could also try it out on a swatch of a smaller number of stitches.
And you could insert a life line in row 4 in case you don’t like what happens in rows 5 and 6 and need to go back.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks so much, I was able to figure it out with you help!

Glad you managed to work it out. Enjoy your knitting.