Need help understanding pattern

I’m pretty new to knitting, my first project was a knitted cat plush I made a few months ago and it turned out great!
But I’ve got a new pattern by a different brand and it uses Snowflake Chunky which is really hard to knit with being not much more than fluff on string. I’m trying to make a baby blanket and I’m knitting but losing stitches and I’m not sure if I’m following the pattern right.
It says:
3rd row. [B]* (K2tog) 3 times, (yfwd, k1) 6 times, (K2tog) 3 times, rep from * to end.[/B]
I did this as (K2tog) 3 times, (yfwd, k1) 6 times, (K2tog) 3 times, (K2tog) 3 times, (yfwd,k1) 6 times ect
but one side of the blanket was slanting (losing stitches I think) and I’m not sure if that is right.
Am I doing it right or was I supposed to go:
(K2tog) 3 times, (yfwd, k1) 6 times, (K2tog) 3 times, (yfwd, k1) 6 times, (k2tog) 3 times ect?
It’s very frustrating and I unraveled a good 16 hours worth of knitting because it looked wrong.
Can anyone help me please?

Welcome!
You’re first interpretation is correct. Are you doing the yarn fwd as a yarn over? This is a feather and fan pattern where the six yarn overs increase the number of sts and the six k2tog decrease the sts.
Sounds like the yarn may also be making it difficult to see the pattern which isn’t helping. I wonder if it might help to try out several rows with a smoother yarn, just to see the pattern?
Another suggestion is to use stitch markers between repeats. These can be as simple as loops of contrasting yarn.
Can you give us the name of the pattern or a link to it?

Thank you for responding!
This is the pattern:
http://www.sirdar.co.uk/designs/babiesDesigns/shawlsblankets/1286
The bottom right hand one is the one I’m making it’s pattern D and just called ‘Wavy Blanket’. The pattern isn’t very big at all, so I could type it out if you want?
I never thought about trying it out on a different yarn first, I shall try it and see what happens.

It’s a classic feather and fan pattern so we don’t need any more of the pattern. I think the problem may be at least partly due to the thick yarn. Give it a try with some scrap yarn just to see how it works and then go back to the Snowflake. It’ll work and be very soft in that yarn but it may just be a matter of practicing the pattern, seeing how it lines up and keep track of stitch count with markers.
It’s going to make a very sweet blanket.