Need Help Understanding Pattern

I am knitting a tank top and have just reached the armhole section for the back - I am stumped because there are 66 stitches and the next line says

" … work in pattern to last 3 stitches, K2 together, K 2"

Wouldn’t that require that you “work in pattern to last 4 stitches”?

Thanks,

Margaret

Yes, you’re right.

Yep it would. So either knit to last 4, k2tog, k2, or knit to last 3, k2 tog k1.

What are the directions at the beginning of the line you quoted? Usually on the back the two sides are balanced, so the directions at the beginning of the row may may help you understand how you should end the row.

It is an Easy Tank Top pattern by Lorna Miser and I’ve knitted the back until the armhole shaping part; that begins with:

Bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows
Next Row: K2, ssk, work in pattern (which is 2 knits, followed by 2 purls) until last 3 stitches, K2 tog, K2.

Thinking it was an error, I went to several sites that list the pattern, but all I found was the same instructions, unfortunately

So to balance the k2, ssk at the beginning, you should work to the last 4sts, k2tog, k2.

“Bind off 3 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows
Next Row: [I]K2, ssk[/I], work in pattern (which is 2 knits, followed by 2 purls) until last [B]4[/B] stitches, K2 tog, K2.”

You need to match what you did on the back, so work to the last 4 sts, k2tog k2.