Need help understanding pattern

I’m pretty new to knitting and I’ve started making a dress for my puppy which I thought would be pretty simple :slight_smile: But there’s a part in the pattern that is kind of confusing to me… Here is what it says (the part in red is what I’m confused about):

Cast on 30 sts for neck and work in st st. Increase one st at each end of fifth row.

[COLOR=“Red”]Continue in st st, increasing 1 st at each end of each following sixth (RS) row until there are 40 sts.[/COLOR] Continue working in stst until piece measures 10 to 11" long.

Here is what I did… can you tell me if this is right? :??

I cast on 30 stitches and worked in stockinette stitch then when I got to the 5th row, I increased a stitch at each end of the row. Then I increased a stitch at the beginning and end of the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th rows and then I had 40 stitches on my needle. I’ve continued working in stockinette stitch and haven’t increased anymore.

Did I interpret the instructions correctly? Thanks in advance for your help! :thumbsup:

Based on those instructions I would have increased on rows 5, 11, 17, 23 and 29.

The[COLOR=Black] work ‘[/COLOR][COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]following’ means ‘after’ so [/COLOR][/COLOR]inc on the 5th row, but then it should be the 6th row [I]after[/I] that one, and the 6th row after that and the 6th row after that… [COLOR=Red][/COLOR]

Ok, it makes sense now… thanks guys! I guess I just had a blonde moment lol… I will rip it out tonight when I get home and do it the right way! :slight_smile: