Need help understanding pattern

I’ve only been knitting for about 6 months and just finished my first afghan and am looking forward to my 2nd project but I don’t understand a step in the directions. If any one can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it. This is going to be a Christmas present for someone so I’d like to get it started as soon as possible.

The questions I have is regarding the below direction:
Row 1: Knit 4, place marker, purl 8, place marker, * (knit 1, purl 1, knit 1) all into next st, purl 3 together; repeat from * to last 12 sts, place marker, purl 8, place marker, knit 4.

As a background, the stitches are cast on with 2 strands of yarn held together. I don’t understand the part following the parenthesis that says “all into next st.” How do I k1, p1, and k1, all into one stitch, or two strands of yarn? Any advice?

It works for two strands of yarn as well as one – I’m assuming you do two strands together for the whole thing? If so, you just pretend that the two strands are a single strand.

Anyway, to kpk in one stitch, you do a normal knit stitch up to the point of pulling the loop through, but you don’t slide the old loop off of the left needle. Instead, you bring the yarn to the front of the work (as you would for any purl stitch) and purl into that stitch; again, don’t slide it off of the left needle. Bring the yarn to the back again, and do another knit, and this time you /do/ slide the old stitch off of the left needle when you’re done. This is basically a way of increasing – you’re making three stitches out of one. It might stretch some things a bit oddly, compared with just normal one-to-one knitting, but it’ll work out :slight_smile:

With two strands of yarn held together to cast on, you continue on holding the two strands together and work as if they were one strand.

As for K1 P1 K1 in the same stitch…knit the next stitch, but before slipping the original stitch off the left needle you will bring your yarn to the front between the needles and purl the same stitch. Again, before removing the original stitch from the left needle you will return your yarn to the back between the needles and knit the stitch one more time. Now you will slip the original stitch off the left needle. You have increased by 2 stitches by doing this. The next instruction is to purl 3 together, and this will [I]decrease[/I] 2 stitches. The increases balance the decreases and your stitch count by the end of the row will be unchanged.

Thank you both for the quick responses. I think I understand what I need to do…now it will just be trying to make it work. I appreciate your detailed responses and look forward to trying this new stitch.

If I can just add one more comment to this-- just know that when you do this (knitting more than 1 stitch into a stitch), it can feel a bit awkward and tight, because you’re doing so much into 1 stitch and that it’s not you, you’re not doing something wrong! Sometimes when I’m knitting something that has that sort of thing in the pattern, I use more slippery needles because it helps it along.